S40pro TPS problem?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
dyl tex
ECU Model: S40 Pro

S40pro TPS problem?

Post by dyl tex »

Good afternoon,

First off, I'm a complete nwebie to the world of ECU's and all the magic that they do - I'm a 41 year old that is used to setting up cars with screwdrivers and spanners rather than a laptop.....haha!

I've got an issue that I just can't seem to sort out with my DTA S40pro, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction with it :)

The issue is that when I connect the TPS plug into the TPS the car will start with throttle assist, but wont idle - I disconnect it, and the car will start without having to add throttle and will idle with out any issues and drive absolutely fine without any problems.

I have tried a brand new TPS and also the 'reverse TPS' settings,where the engine will start and idle with the TPS cable plugged in, but will not rev out due to a big blank spot.

I'm running a 106 GTi TU5J4 engine conversion in my 205 with catcams 708 camshafts and a lightened 2.9 kg flywheel along with a known working professionally sorted map from a friends car also running an S40pro with the same camshafts etc, I had the same problem with a base map initially, hence why I borrowed a known functioning map file from a friend, to try and sort it out.

I can't understand how the the car runs without it plugged in either?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S40pro TPS problem?

Post by stevieturbo »

Read the manual.

Have you calibrated the TPS, and all other sensors for your setup ?

Is it giving reliable readings from 0% thru 100% after you have calibrated it ?

If so, then there is no problem with it.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

If you unplug the TPS, the ECU will use the default setting for the TPS.

It sounds like the car is short of fuel at idle/low throttle.

Just because the map came from an "identical" car, doesn't mean it is identical.
welshpug

Post by welshpug »

yes, 100% just take it to be mapped if the readings are seen.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

As they've said above and also RTFM !

Being 41 is no excuse, i'm 55 and find it far easier to understand than 'dark arts' of carburetors!
dyl tex

Post by dyl tex »

katana wrote:As they've said above and also RTFM !

Being 41 is no excuse, i'm 55 and find it far easier to understand than 'dark arts' of carburetors!
If you've nothing more constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.
dyl tex

Post by dyl tex »

My setup consists of just a TPS and Crank Sensor.

I have RTFM

I have run the TPS calibration setup, and it all reads as it should.

I have ran the crank oscilloscope test and there are no issues with it either, but not to worry.

I just thought I would ask on here for some input from experienced people, but it seems I have wasted my time on here.
Antral

Post by Antral »

I wouldn't say you wasted your time you got plenty of info, it's a standard answer (RTFM) if you ask simple questions. I still don't know why people think a map from someone else's engine should work fine.
I am sure Alex would be pleased if you think he is wasting your time, you asked the question!
dyl tex

Post by dyl tex »

Alex along with Steve and Welshpug haven't wasted my time, Alex answered my question as to how it defaults to run without the TPS plugged in.

I have checked the throttle stop to ensure there was sufficient air being let into the engine etc.... all as per the manual and from reading through topics on this forum.

I took exception to the RTFM reply, it was negative and of no use to my original post. My original paragraph was supposed to break the ice :roll:

I haven't at any point stated that I think the map from another car is fine, I am currently running in the engine on a base map before taking it to be mapped, I just tried it to see if it would make a difference.

This was part of my original post.....
I had the same problem with a base map initially, hence why I borrowed a known functioning map file from a friend, to try and sort it out.
I guess I should correct my previous final paragraph to - I'm sorry to have wasted other peoples valuable time by posting such a simple pointless question.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

RTFM is a very valid comeback.

I was going to say the same...but I played nice and just said RTM.

The problem is your information is bad. You're blaming the TPS....yet your actions regarding calibrating it seem strange...and at no point did you state whether it is reading correctly or not or indeed that there was even a problem with the sensor..

Simply saying your ( untuned ) engine runs bad or differently when it is plugged in or unplugged...just means the engine is not tuned correctly. Not in any way that there is a fault with the sensor

If you had read the manual, you could maybe have given more info as to whether then sensor was bad or not based on proper feedback from what the sensor is saying.