S40pro TPS problem?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: S40pro TPS problem?

Post by ignitionautosport »

Yeah, by unplugging it you're defaulting to the fallback TPS setting and it's using fueling from that range. The setting it in General Engine. eg if the fallback (error) for TPS is 90% throttle, then it's going to be fueling your engine as if it's at 90% throttle the whole time the sensor is unplugged and it's seeing an error state.

Which will tell you that it's way too lean in the other ranges - so you can adjust your fuel map based on that info. Ideally a wideband O2 will help, but if you don't have one, set all your cells to copy whatever is in the fallback TPS%.

I understand your pain, as ideally you need to get it running and have a whole lot of stuff to check before getting it tuned - but the reality is that it won't run right until it has some sort of tune close to what you need. A Dyno/Knob Box aids in the immensely as you just twist the fuel knob till it runs, but unless you're a tuner it's a somewhat pointless purchase.

If you have a spare analogue input you could use that for a fuel trim using a potentiometer.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Sorry you felt aggrieved with my comment but thats your loss! Having RTM you will of course, have set the TPS open and close points both of which have significant effect on running ? Opening the throttle blades admitting air won't help if the ecu doesn't actually know that!
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Borla »

There's a suprise, somebody seeking help from this forum and getting more disparagement than help...............
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Borla wrote:There's a suprise, somebody seeking help from this forum and getting more disparagement than help...............
There's no pleasing some people when they get the correct answers that will help them, even if it may not have been what they wanted to hear.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Come on guys, play nice.

RTFM does come across as disparaging. Not everyone has done this before.
It does get tiring answering the same questions over and over, but that's what this forum is for, to help people who are new to this, or are stuck. Please remember that when answering.

Back on topic now please.

As suggested before, check what the default TPS value is. If it's 90/100% you'll be able to work out a rough amount to add to the whole fuel map, which should get you running.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Alex DTA wrote:
RTFM does come across as disparaging. Not everyone has done this before.
Yes...but a lot of the problem is people not doing just that....reading the manual. If they had read it before, a lot of the answers would become apparent, and it might also help create the correct questions.

The OP makes a thread asking if there is a TPS problem, when it's pretty apparent there is no problem with the TPS and it's a tuning issue.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I'm not disagreeing with that at all, I'm pointing out the responses can be made in a less disparaging way.

I'd like to grow this forum to be the come to place for queries, and this isn't the first time people have commented on the negative tone of the replies.
Please can everyone think about how their replies will come across to a newbie who may have read the manual, but still not understood what the problem is.
Antral

Post by Antral »

Yes Alex I totally agree with your comments, it is the go to place for people to ask questions and has been for years but re visiting the manual at times answers most questions ( I think).
I have been reading it for years and still struggle to remember alot of it. Prolonged usage of the software helps but most fit and forget once tuned.
dyl tex

Post by dyl tex »

ignitionautosport wrote:Yeah, by unplugging it you're defaulting to the fallback TPS setting and it's using fueling from that range. The setting it in General Engine. eg if the fallback (error) for TPS is 90% throttle, then it's going to be fueling your engine as if it's at 90% throttle the whole time the sensor is unplugged and it's seeing an error state.

Which will tell you that it's way too lean in the other ranges - so you can adjust your fuel map based on that info. Ideally a wideband O2 will help, but if you don't have one, set all your cells to copy whatever is in the fallback TPS%.

I understand your pain, as ideally you need to get it running and have a whole lot of stuff to check before getting it tuned - but the reality is that it won't run right until it has some sort of tune close to what you need. A Dyno/Knob Box aids in the immensely as you just twist the fuel knob till it runs, but unless you're a tuner it's a somewhat pointless purchase.

If you have a spare analogue input you could use that for a fuel trim using a potentiometer.
Hi ignitionautosport,

Many thanks for a great explanation!

Reading the manual is indeed a valid comeback, but people that are experienced in the art of tweaking these ECU's tend to forget that small pieces of knowledge can often tie up a few items for an inexperienced person.

Its always easy to try and explain about something which you are familiar with, but if it's new, it's a hard thing to start to construct an explanation of a problem, well,to me anyway.

The car is running surprisingly well, no blank spots, no hessitation, just that it stalls when the TPS is connected. Now I know what is causing that problem I can live with that for another 100 miles before I take it to get properly mapped.
dyl tex

Post by dyl tex »

P.S

Thank you to all that were helpful with their replies :)