S100; fuel/sparks cylinder trim

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
steveslowboy
ECU Model: No ECU

S100; fuel/sparks cylinder trim

Post by steveslowboy »

Hi All,

Can the S100 run individual cylinder trim for sparks and fuel (in sequential mode)?

What i mean is can you alter the timing and fueling on each cylinder independantly to each other?

Engine is a pretty highly tuned GSXR1100W which currently runs wasted spark and batch-fire injectors on an old MBE967. It has very long primaries and short secondaries (to get around the sides of the engine) so even with a very special pair of cams in it, we feel it could benefit from cylinder trimming to help get the most out of it.
Fitting a cam sensor is a known job!

I'm therefore considering going to COP (Hayabusa ones fit nicely) and also combining the paddle shift system using an S100.

All help appreciated,
Thanks
Steve
stevieturbo

Re: S100; fuel/sparks cylinder trim

Post by stevieturbo »

There is a basic 1d table for fuel adjustments per cylinder, dont think there is anything for timing though.

You should be able to trim fuel regardless of crank/cam though, because the ecu is always wired to a specific cylinder, so even if it may not know cyl1 as far as the 720 cycle goes...output 1 is always cylinder 1 etc etc, so the ecu could still make adjustments to the correct cylinder.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

As stevie says, fuel trims are available, but not timing.
steveslowboy

Post by steveslowboy »

Ah, ok thanks guys.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

if you are running sequential with cop I see no reason why you cant +/- a couple of degrees in the cop settings. just fool ecu by saying its an unequal fire engine.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Rob Stevens wrote:if you are running sequential with cop I see no reason why you cant +/- a couple of degrees in the cop settings. just fool ecu by saying its an unequal fire engine.
That would work.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

wouldn't work very well on cylinder 1 as that has to be 0. But that could be your base line and all the other cylinders + or - from there.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Steve, you should also move to twin injectors, but most important move to methanol, you will be shocked by the improvement on an otherwise same engine, no need to worry about fuel trims, just poor it in.
steveslowboy

Post by steveslowboy »

Thanks all for the info. Looks like some adjustment may be possible then - food for thought.

Rob, I'm currently running brown peco injectors (in standard hayabusa throttle bodies), so not really being stretched with regards to duty cycle; not sure therefore what benefit a second set would be? Notwithstanding a very limited space to physically squeeze in another set...
As far as methanol is concerned, my engine builder is strongly against this - as well as the fact my fuel tank and pump aren't big enough, so this won't be an avenue for development.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Steve, most bikes now use twin injectors, the 2nd up stream of the butterfly, not for extra capacity but for better mixture preparation. Most engine builders haven't used methanol therefore rely on old wives tales :) . on Fido's car it picked up something like 14bhp in the mid range, just contaminated the oil which is a massive down side, he didn't have a lambda on at the time. Shame you can't use it.