P8 Fan control....

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
SeniorGT

P8 Fan control....

Post by SeniorGT »

Hi.... Just found the new forum, have to say i was more of a lurker on the old one but here goes with a easy one for you guys.....

Ive been avoiding a little niggle i have with my p8 setup, whenever i use the proper fan relay switched ground i get a lot of switch bounce at engine idle ( fan relay rapidly switching on and off ), i know the newer S series has addressed this but is there a way round this problem with the older p8?? Currently i have it linked into the fuel pump relay earth so the fan is just constantly running, not ideal but it works, lol.

Cheers, James.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Re: P8 Fan control....

Post by Roverdose »

what values do you have set for turn on/off?

Drew
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I had the same bounce issue. Although it was only as the fan was turning off.

I just ignored it. Never caused an problems
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

I origionally tried it with a percent duty cycle starting at 85'c with 25% and increasing to 100% at 100'c, but thought that might be causing it, so just swapped to 0% up to 90'c and 100% at 91'c.

Still ended up with the same problem though.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Fan control doesnt have a duty cycle feature.

The Aux out's do, but the Fan control is not treated in the same way.

A small capacitor or something, or maybe a resistor might damp the signal to the relay and shut it up. Or perhaps find an electronic relay or transistor capable of handling the current.

or just mount the relay where you cant hear it lol
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Yeah sorry stevie, forgot to mention that the fan was being switched by AUX3 output.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

what are you using on aux2 then? as that would be much better for fan control.

Drew
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Couldnt tell you why its to AUX3 just the pin the guy who made my loom wired it to, just had a quick look at the p8 wiring diagram and like you said AUX 2 will probably be better as its designed to run a relay.

TBH ive got over my fear of making looms now so ive done the last couple myself, just need to rip mine back to peices and add a few bits to it that he left out, ill swap over the fan control at the same time and try that.

Thanks, James.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

You could just pull the connector apart and swap Aux 2 and 3 over there, assuming you are not using Aux 2 for something else, even if you are you could swap the info in the software over.
SeniorGT

Post by SeniorGT »

Yeah could do bud, but tbh its all coming back out pretty soon as i need to add all the stuff for wheel speed sensors and an ALS soleniod.