ALS setup

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
TRN
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 89

ALS setup

Post by TRN »

Hi Guys,

After doing N/A engines for years, we're currently developing a turbo'd 600hp rallycross car and looking at our options regarding ALS systems. We're just beginning our research so any info or feedback is greatly appreciated.
We've got a S100 we'd like to use for the car.

My question; are there any people here that have experience with setting up the "fresh-air"/"secondary air system" type of ALS? Is this something the DTA is properly capable of doing?

Just to be sure of what we mean;
This does not use throttle blipper or throttle bypass valve, but bypasses (boosted) fresh air through a kind of egr/wastegate into the exhaust headers, igniting with some extra fuel on overrun keeping the turbo spooled.
This is a very popular type of ALS in rallycross as it's said to be a lot kinder on valves and turbine than conventional high-EGT types of ALS.

Anyone with some advice regarding component choice, do's/don'ts or control strategies?

I've found a similar topic, but since it's from 2015 I thought I'd ask for some up-to-date info.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=930&hilit=fresh+air&start=40

thanks a lot!

regards,
Tom
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: ALS setup

Post by Alex DTA »

If you know what's required, I'm sure we can make it work.
I'm interested in this set up as well.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: ALS setup

Post by gnutz2 »

I started that thread you linked to but unfortunately Photobucket has messed up most furum threads on the web.

This is what I fabricated from a cheap wastegate.

I had the als output (aux 4) triggering a mac valve which was piped into a vacuum cannister to open the wastegate and let the air into the manifold when als was triggered, I had to remember to disconnect the dump valve when testing it because the pressure would release through that valve instead.

I also added a big check valve on the wastegate inlet to stop any exhaust gasses entering the inlet tract.

Unfortunately I don't have any good advice because I never got the system working properly. I did a little testing but didn't get any hard data I could give you but I've no doubt it'll work on the dta ecu. The only advice I could think of is to install a map sensor in between the turbo compressor and the throttle plate for logging, because this is a closed throttle type of als you'll never be able to see any boost pressure made inside the inlet manifold.

This last picture is an engine I saw at autosport this year and quite obviously is the same setup as I have done.