IMPORTANT Amplified coils problem

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: IMPORTANT Amplified coils problem

Post by PhillipM »

I'd avoid talking about turning on your pink squidgy thing in the documentation, personally ;)
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I like going to B&Q. I get wood.

I'm here all week....
aleksanderk
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 6500

Post by aleksanderk »

I have experienced this too. Key on for 5 minutes without starting engine. Suddenly my wasted spark coil started misfiring on one bank. Got a new one from dealer, but they also said that if you leave key on for longer periods of time the coil might burn. Maybe i should wire mine through FP relay aswell since I'm making a new harness for it anyway.
Cpur
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by Cpur »

I am using k20 coils, and use a 5mtr usb extension,
i never had this problem.

But once it burnt the fuse that powers the coils , i think the problem was that I loaded a map with the inverted o/p not enabled so the coils came always on. Luckily enough i like to keep fuses to a minimum and it burnt before the coils.

As Stevieturbo said, you can wire them to have power after the pump is running, i did this for the cooling fan relay. And yes there are a lot of k20 coils for sale at 20 and 30usd . I bought 2 as spare, but only because i could not find used genuine.
warren