E48 vs S40 - worth the upgrade?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stuart123

E48 vs S40 - worth the upgrade?

Post by stuart123 »

I'm currently running an E48 and wondered whether forum members thought there was enough advantage switching to an S40?

The E48 is running a 2.0 duratec using single injector, wasted spark, launch control, TPS no lamdba or MAP, std crank triggering 36-1, 9500 red line, aux outputs to switch the fan relay and shift lights. I've had an aux output fail a few years ago but otherwise the E48 has been completely reliable. Also the non-driven wheel trigger for launch is 4 pulses per wheel revolution so not causing excessive interrupts.

Its going to cost a bit to switch but I could swap ecu and loom when it needs a remap for spec change and selling the E48 and loom would soften the blow - if the benefits are there...

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Stuart
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Re: E48 vs S40 - worth the upgrade?

Post by Roverdose »

what do you do with the car/engine? track toy, daily driver etc?

Drew
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

stuart123 wrote:I'm currently running an E48 and wondered whether forum members thought there was enough advantage switching to an S40?

The E48 is running a 2.0 duratec using single injector, wasted spark, launch control, TPS no lamdba or MAP, std crank triggering 36-1, 9500 red line, aux outputs to switch the fan relay and shift lights. I've had an aux output fail a few years ago but otherwise the E48 has been completely reliable. Also the non-driven wheel trigger for launch is 4 pulses per wheel revolution so not causing excessive interrupts.

Its going to cost a bit to switch but I could swap ecu and loom when it needs a remap for spec change and selling the E48 and loom would soften the blow - if the benefits are there...

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Stuart
it's easy...

What benefits will you get from the upgrade ? What more do you need the ecu to do, that you currently dont have ?

It's just me, but I wouldnt consider any DTA below the S60 unless it really was for a very basic setup
stuart123

Post by stuart123 »

Yes - should have added more info on usage :oops:
Its a nat asp tarmac stage rally car, it does essentially all its miles in competition.
Not concerned about getting full TC, idle quality is not particularly important very happy with wasted spark setup - its more whether the S-series handles fuel/ign better rather than lacking in functionality.

Thanks
Stuart
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

stuart123 wrote:Yes - should have added more info on usage :oops:
Its a nat asp tarmac stage rally car, it does essentially all its miles in competition.
Not concerned about getting full TC, idle quality is not particularly important very happy with wasted spark setup - its more whether the S-series handles fuel/ign better rather than lacking in functionality.

Thanks
Stuart
Unless you're looking to run sequential injection, or add some datalogging etc, then I cant see how the S40 will do anything for you over what you have. It's still pretty basic.

The Swin software is nicer to use, but you dont seem to mention much use of the old software. So again that hardly matters

S40 does not do Traction Control AFAIK, so that's out.

Just jot down what you think an alternative ecu will offer you over what you currently have. If that is a long list, then consider an upgrade.

If the list is very short, perhaps dont bother. And it sounds like the latter.
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

short answer: no.

long answer: if your current one blew up or something then yeah, maybe a shiny S-series...but otherwise i really wouldn't bother.

stevie is correct...it doesn't do TC. launch yes, TC no.
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
murph81
Firmware Version: 33

Post by murph81 »

Would there be much of a difference in fuel consumption using sequential injection?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

murph81 wrote:Would there be much of a difference in fuel consumption using sequential injection?
In theory yes there would be some gains on a well tuned setup.

Certainly not a big difference though. The key is in the latter part of the statement. A well tuned setup.

But neither the E48 or S40 do sequential anyway