Fan relay

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
molecular bob
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 31

Fan relay

Post by molecular bob »

I am going to run my radiator fan via the ecu, but what spec of relay should I be using? Most OEM ones seem to have a diode or resister for fans. Would it be wise to do the same? at the moment I have a stock 4 pin hella 30A one, but easy enough to swap it out if it would be better to have a flyback protected one?

Is there a preferred part number for use as a fan relay?

Thanks

Ian B.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Fan relay

Post by stevieturbo »

Any simple automotive relay will be fine
Andy-reid
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA Direct
Firmware Version: 73.01

Re: Fan relay

Post by Andy-reid »

usually the relay with the diode across the coil wingdings is there to protect the ecu from back emf and electrical noise in the wiring most aftermarket ecu's seem to be able to tolerate this beter than original units

molecular bob wrote:I am going to run my radiator fan via the ecu, but what spec of relay should I be using? Most OEM ones seem to have a diode or resister for fans. Would it be wise to do the same? at the moment I have a stock 4 pin hella 30A one, but easy enough to swap it out if it would be better to have a flyback protected one?

Is there a preferred part number for use as a fan relay?

Thanks

Ian B.