Smiths gauges and sensors together with S80Pro

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Sonus
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Smiths gauges and sensors together with S80Pro

Post by Sonus »

I am a total novice when it comes to ECUs as all my enthusiast cars has had old school carbs until now. I am building a fuel injected Daimler V8 to go in my TVR Vixen. The car uses classic Smiths instruments and corresponding sensors. What I am hoping to do is to use the same sensors for the water temp, oil temp, oil pressure etc for both the ECu and the instruments. Can I piggyback the instruments of the ECU loom or will I need separate sensors for the ECU and instruments?

Have picture for your troubles :)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Smiths gauges and sensors together with S80Pro

Post by Alex DTA »

You'll have to duplicate the sensors.

The tacho will have to be modified to work with the ECU as well. We have a contact that can do that.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: Smiths gauges and sensors together with S80Pro

Post by katana »

Agreed and the oil pressure is likely a capillary so no sender anyway! Likely the only one you do need is a two wire water temp sensor, many adaptors are available for fitting senders into hoses. It'll need additionally - Intake air temp sender (IAT) and Crankshaft Position (CrP) - those will get a running engine - anything else is warnings, bells and whistles and refinements. One good addition worth the money is a wideband lambda sensor - helps hugely in tuning and general running!