Placement of coils & ecu

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
tzei
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Placement of coils & ecu

Post by tzei »

I'm tryng to decide where to put coils and ecu in car. My orginal idea was to locate coils (4x 034) inside cabin as well as ecu but i'm bit worried about possible interference due coils to ecu unit. Any experience with coils and ecu in close proximity? Any safe distance or how can one shield coils (or ecu) not to interfere?

Engine bay is quite full so there is no rather cool spot for coils. Ok one spot might be still open but then crank sensor (ford #6859702) is about 15 cm away and i'm afraid that would cause troubles.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Placement of coils & ecu

Post by stevieturbo »

I would not mount the coils near the ecu, nor would I mount then near the crank sensor. Or route HT leads anywhere near either.

Although 15cm should be ok.

But I also would not mount the coils inside the cabin, as surely this will create very long HT leads ?

What car is it that there is so little room ?
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

As long as they are not hard against each other it will be fine. I have done this with other ECU's to no detriment on show cars where the owner wants to hide everything.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
tzei

Post by tzei »

Thanks for comments!

The car in question is BMW 2002 and i've moved engine & tranny backwards 195 mm (rules allow 200 mm movement. yes it's a race car). HT leads would be same lenght as they were previous set up (about 50 cm). I use Accel 300+ race wires with insulaton sleeves and had no interference. Coil was ford edis in engine bay and ecu (nonDTA) was in cabin on the other side of the firewall.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Isnt there room under the intake or something ?
tzei

Post by tzei »

Not really. Might be able to squeese them somewhere under intake/plenium but the bracket would be very interesting... + mainantance would need removal of plenium each time. HT leads might get longer. However i will look into that option.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Any pics of the engine bay ?

How come the "034" coils ? Wouldnt a normal 4 tower coil pack be much easier ?
tzei

Post by tzei »

A couple of pics (if i managed). A mock engine in position. Plenium will take all the room there is between tb's and inner wheelhouse.

As for the coils... yes 4 tower would be a bit easier but i have led to believe that these coils should perform better. Dunno if it's true but it remains to be seen. i have Accel edis as a plan b.
Attachments
kh3.jpg
kh1.jpg
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Why such a small turbo :)

That looks like a BMW M10
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
tzei

Post by tzei »

Jon K wrote:Why such a small turbo :)

That looks like a BMW M10
Dunno myself. Gave guys at the turboshop engine specs and thats what i got :)

Yep, good 'n old M10.