DTA S40 start problem.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
raymonddfz
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA! Garath

DTA S40 start problem.

Post by raymonddfz »

Hi,
i have just bought a new s40 and vauxhall loom, an upgrade from the E48. I have wired everything up and the car wont start. It didn't before and when the E48 went to DTA they advised corrosion around the main processor
We have power to the ECU, fuel pump switches on, but we have no spark.
I am unable to check anything in the ECU as my old lap top isn't new enough for the software so will have to source something else, not that i would really know what i am looking at any way.

Any basic ideas? in simple language would be most helpfull

Regards
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: DTA S40 start problem.

Post by stevieturbo »

Obviously you need to have a suitable map loaded into the ecu to stand any chance of starting.

With no means to do this or check this...you are very much pissing into the wind as they say.

Not sure on laptop requirements for the software...but I wouldnt have thought they were anything special ? How old is the laptop ? If anything old is good as it will likely have a proper serial port.
raymonddfz
Distributor: DTA! Garath

Post by raymonddfz »

I have now found/borrowed a laptop that runs Windows 7, the new software runs on that and I have found a USB/serial adaptor so fingers crossed, today I can get into the ECU and check general engine settings.
The map was transferred over from the E48 by DTA and I have no intention of touching that but I did just wonder if a general engine setting was incorrect?

It is a fairly standard injected Vauxhall, 4 injectors on jenvey thortle bodies, a coil pack, crankshaft sensor picks up off of the fly wheel, air Sensor and water temp. It hasn't got individual coils so it's a wasted spark. Not sure what the general settings would look like? If anyone can perhaps give me a photo, or tell me which boxes need ticking for my set up, I would appricate it. There may be a major box not ticked or something As I said earlier, it has fuel but no spark.

Thanks in advance
rjwooll
Distributor: Lotusbits
Firmware Version: 75

Post by rjwooll »

My S40 equipped car wouldn't start at the weekend. Turned out it was water in the crankshaft position sensor connector. The clue was that, while the fuel pump was delivering fuel, the real time display showed zero rpm while cranking, meaning that the S40 was unable to fire the injectors or provide a spark (as both of these require engine rotation!) Dried it out and all was fine. If the connector's OK, it could be that the sensor is damaged.