S60 Boost control

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Vitesse
ECU Model: S60 Pro

S60 Boost control

Post by Vitesse »

I fitted an S60 to my car years ago, boost control has always been from a manual controller with no connection to the DTA, it was a long time ago, I have not touched it since.
Now I connect my new laptop and updated DTA software to view the ECU functions and it looks different a lot seems to have changed since fitting or I forgot a lot.
The map was built by the chaps at track n road from scratch, first with turbo effectively disconnected so a normally aspirated map was formed then boost was added and the map adapted to cope with boost measured by the MAP sensor, that is how it was for over 10 years.
Now I have fitted a solenoid valve for the DTA to control boost.
1. Can I simply go into the ECU, tick some boxes to switch on boost control with a MAC valve using the current turbo map with its ignition and fuel settings for boost or is the only way to have a new map created/adapted?
2. Is there a check method to test the valve is connected and working from the ECU? A way to click the solenoid and test the valve works and wiring is correct?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: S60 Boost control

Post by Alex DTA »

The ECU can calculate the correct fueling with increased boost, but it will not be able to correct the timing, so you'll have to get it mapped properly.

To test the valve, use the Test Outputs function.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Ok thanks
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I went into Display and Test functions- Test injectors, coils and auxiliaries
The Coils box is automatically ticked when the window opens, I untick the coils box and the injector test runs continually without the box ticked, I tick the Turbo valve box and the injector test stops but nothing happens with the turbo valve and the start button is disabled
I have 12v at the valve just no test signal.
Do I need to enable turbo control in Other Map Settings and save it to the Map?
It all seems a bit mismatched and inconsistent, do I need to update the ECU?
I did not have long to investigate deeper tonight but will try again tomorrow
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Tried again this evening so here is what happens in more detail

Open Display and Test functions - Test injectors, coils and auxiliaries

Coils test box is already ticked when window opens.

I untick coils box, nothing else is ticked the injector test starts and runs continuously, after about 5 to 10 seconds the Stop engine popup appears (the engine is not running) I click OK as this is the only button enabled at this point and the Test functions window closes completely

I start again
Open Display and Test functions - Test injectors, coils and auxiliaries again same again coils box ticked
I untick coils box, nothing else is ticked the injector test starts and runs continuously, before the Stop engine popup appears I click the Start button, the injector test stops.
I tick the Turbo valve box, nothing happens other than the start button disables.

Untick the Turbo valve box and the injector test starts again.

That is as far as I can get, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Jim
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

What exactly are you trying to test anyway ?

The boost solenoid is just a boost solenoid ? 12v and ecu trigger.

Wire it up and drive the car and tune accordingly ? You'll soon know if it works.
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Seems somewhat frustrating though ie. to have a test facility that doesn't seem to work how it should or works 'testing' items that aren't requested! Testing a boost soli that 'could' potentially go full beans on the road doesn't sound sensible to me - i'd want to know if it was working properly first?
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Exactly, something is wrong and needs fixing, then I can carry out a simple function test to operate the solenoid off the DTA.
What should be a 5 minute test has shown up several problems that need attention before moving on to mapping.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I've tested that here, and cannot reproduce it. The tests all work as they should.

Try this test.
Open the crank scope, and click gather. Don't turn over the engine.
Then run the coil test, and see if there's any feedback to the crank scope.
Then run the injector test.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

ok I will try this afternoon.

Is it correct that the coils test box is ticked when opening the functions test?

I reinstalled the DTASwin for windows 7,8 and 10 again on my laptop just in case.
Working offline I go into the functions tests and it is the same as connected to the car and online.

So I installed the DTASwin on my PC and it is the same, coils box ticked on opening, untick coils but all other boxes not enabled, cannot tick anything else, I click start and all boxes become active, start button is not active.

It is the same on my laptop connected to the car or not and also the same on my PC not connected to the car.

I fear I am doing something really simply wrong but at the same time hope not