Thoughts on a Maps section?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Thoughts on a Maps section?

Post by VR6Turbo »

I know some folk are very protective of their maps and woe betide anyone who criticises or copies it, but as we're not selling our work commercially, I personally don't really care who sees / copies my maps.

In fact, if someone looked at my map and said "Hey, you could do with winding this back a little and bumping that up a bit", I would really appreciate it! :D We're all here to learn and share after all!

With that in mind, those willing to contribute a map, should we have a maps section?

Obviously we can disclaim them "at owner's risk" and all that, but so often on the old forum we got map requests and questions that could easily be answered by looking at a map.

For those who are sensitive about their map content, they could take out the bits they want to protect (timing and fuel numbers) and just upload the basic settings to help get someone started.

I fully appreciate a good map takes time and money (dyno) to achieve and why should someone have that good work for free, but as I say, it's just a thought and open for discussion..... 8-)
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: Thoughts on a Maps section?

Post by Jon K »

I think thats a good idea - I'll create a maps section.

As you mentioned we'll need to have a disclaimer but it'd be awesome for guys who just need to get a car started or can't figure out why theirs won't.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

Good idea !

Every engine is unique so professional mapper does not lose anything if we have a example database of maps. It can save much work to get crank trigger offsets of certain engine type et cetera.
FrankCorrado
Firmware Version: 76

Post by FrankCorrado »

I don't see why people would protect their map, 2 engines exactly the same except one with a difference (worn rings, bigger TB, different injectors (oh my God on this one!!), etc.) will not use the same map. And with 2 engines the same, ok maybe the same map, but like you said if the other guy would take my map and find better numbers he tried, then great! :)
Frank
VW Corrado VR6 Turbo GT3582R getting into a super light kit car
S80Pro
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Thanks Guys

I'll soon be mapping (or trying to!) a VW 24V engine with dual VVT, which should be interesting. It has a 4 tooth cam trigger and such like so if anyone has any info on this engine that would be great :D

Obviously what I learn myself I shall pass on!
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Does the engine still run a 60-2 primary crank trigger? If so, just ground 3 of the 4 cam teeth off. That's how I'd do it honestly.
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Yep, same block as the 12V VR6 essentially. I'm not sure I can grind 3 of the teeth of due to the shape of it but thanks for the tip!

Why does it have 4 teeth anyway? Is that to ensure the cam's TDC signal is still correct when the cam is fully advanced? (~ 26 deg I think it is in this case).
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Is it this style?

I so, you could take it down to one tooth easily or could pop that tooth plate off (looks brazed or welded) and make a single tooth one.

Not sure why they have so many teeth on it. Does the 24v have a crank trigger?
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Yeah it's pretty much exactly like that, but a flat plate instead, which is attached to a hydraulic adjuster.

Yeah the 24v does indeed have a crank trigger.

I'd feel more comfortable shaving the 3 lobes off after I knew why they were there in the first place though!
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Well you can rest assured that the 3 lobes are there for factory timing stuff. Since you won't be using the factory computer to do anything (I hope) it won't matter. DTA needs a crank and a cam trigger. If I had to take a terrible guess... chances are they have that there so that the factory ECU could run in a limp mode if the crank sensor failed. Something on that trigger signifies a cam event, and then the other teeth signify other rotation. Most cars if the crank sensor fails the car is getting towed. Maybe they have it so that the engine will run in limp mode with no crank sensor.