turbosmart e-wastegate

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
sogaard
ECU Model: S60 Pro

turbosmart e-wastegate

Post by sogaard »

Hi

https://www.turbosmart.com/news/turbosm ... wastegate/ :D

what do you say about this and how is it controlled with dta
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: turbosmart e-wastegate

Post by Alex DTA »

I think it will be an excellent product.

The S Series cannot control it as there is no H bridge on board, but the next range of ECUs should be able to.
I say should, as the maximum current draw on those is 20 Amps, which is above anything we have designed for. It will depend on what the real world current draw is.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Alex DTA wrote:I think it will be an excellent product.

The S Series cannot control it as there is no H bridge on board, but the next range of ECUs should be able to.
I say should, as the maximum current draw on those is 20 Amps, which is above anything we have designed for. It will depend on what the real world current draw is.
Real world will depend on use, pressures involved etc etc and also how hard someone tries to drive it. So may as well expect ramping from one extreme to another to see close to that full current.
Although you could limit the ecu's duty to reduce loads, but potentially reduce speed of the unit.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I'm not sure limiting ECU duty cycle will work? I'm surmising with a 2 wire motor its +/- for open and -/+ for close and 3 wires for position ie linear scale 0-5v. For accurate boost regulation i'm also guessing it will run 'closed loop' and a duty limited control would / could be slower on positioning or response time so negating its whole purpose? There are Arduino H Bridge Motor Shields available to handle 20+ amps, so although a bit 'clunky', low level DTA control via an Arduino to the WG motor could be an option? I wouldn't be surprised if these type of controls aren't being used in the current F1 turbo systems - mechanical control is just soooo yesterday LOL!
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Duty cycle will be directly (but not necessarily linearly) proportional to force on the waste gate valve. As waste gates normally vent to atmosphere, duty cycle will almost always be proportional to boost.

If the duty cycle is capped, the maximum boost available will be limited, as the force generated by the compressed air on the valve will overcome the force generated by the motor.

The 20 Amp figure is quoted for extreme applications, something like 10 Bar boost.
The vast majority of people will not be running that level of boost, so the current draw will be lower. We'll only find out how much lower when they're in use.

I suspect we'll be able to drive these directly in all but the most extreme cases.
I expect the duty cycle will also need to be greater if the waste gate is closed, but I may be wrong there. This could impact us driving it directly.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Highest duty should only really be the initial opening of the gate...or perhaps closing.

But once open, mid range....it shouldnt require a huge load as pressure acting on the valve wouldnt quite be the same

Although in general, it will be interesting to see how these do perform when they're out there.