400 rpm

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: 400 rpm

Post by Rob Stevens »

Have been thinking about this, if you used an idle air valve the car could drive its self at very low rpm, however I've checked the software and the minimum speed for auto idle control is 600 but I think this could still work fine. But you would have to use map corrections.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I've always found idle air bypass valves to be tricky, even for a simple idle.

I'm sure that with a normal open throttle and reduced timing you could probably get rpm down quite low. Although that may reduce usable torque too far.

It's an odd one for sure, and would require testing various options.
Trials
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by Trials »

Yes it’s an interesting conundrum. The car as I bought it has no idle control and all vacuum connections blanked off.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Trials wrote:Yes it’s an interesting conundrum. The car as I bought it has no idle control and all vacuum connections blanked off.

The OEM standard car, or the trials vehicle with the engine fitted ?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

An added complication is that the ECU will revert to the cranking timing if the RPM drops below 500 RPM (the minimum transition from cranking threshold).
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Having just re-read your initial post I think maybe lowering the engine rpm isn't necessarily the 'right' way to go! You said a steady low rpm is desirable for traction but surely that would be wheel rpm? The engine could be running at 1000 rpm but then through a (say) 3.65:1 gearbox and a 5:1 rear diff ratio and you've got 55 rpm wheel speed - the engine would likely run bang-on steady at that speed (using IAV / timing) and options using more than one gear? Sorry if I used Ford ratios - its what I know LOL!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Alex DTA wrote:An added complication is that the ECU will revert to the cranking timing if the RPM drops below 500 RPM (the minimum transition from cranking threshold).
Is this not a user adjustable setting ?

katana wrote:Having just re-read your initial post I think maybe lowering the engine rpm isn't necessarily the 'right' way to go! You said a steady low rpm is desirable for traction but surely that would be wheel rpm? The engine could be running at 1000 rpm but then through a (say) 3.65:1 gearbox and a 5:1 rear diff ratio and you've got 55 rpm wheel speed - the engine would likely run bang-on steady at that speed (using IAV / timing) and options using more than one gear? Sorry if I used Ford ratios - its what I know LOL!
Agreed as said earlier. It just seems like a poor way to approach things.

I'd want a higher engine rpm, stability, excellent control over torque available etc etc. trundling down to a very low rpm at the point of stall just seems the wrong way to go about it. Torque can be reduced quite considerably through tuning where needed
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:
Alex DTA wrote:An added complication is that the ECU will revert to the cranking timing if the RPM drops below 500 RPM (the minimum transition from cranking threshold).
The transition from cranking to running is user adjustable, from 500 to 4000 RPM.
The ECU will then use the main ignition map until the RPM drops below 500 RPM again.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Alex DTA wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:
The transition from cranking to running is user adjustable, from 500 to 4000 RPM.
The ECU will then use the main ignition map until the RPM drops below 500 RPM again.
Ahh, so it cannot be set to below 500rpm.

So in this instance the ecu would not be suitable for his desired application.
Trials

Post by Trials »

A couple of points of clarification.

It’s the trials car that has no idle control not the donor car.

To further explain the need for the very low rpm.
The car could very well be being driven as suggested here at a 1000 rpm. This would most likely be on a very slippery surface. If traction is lost then forward momentum of the car is lost. To regain traction the rpm must be dropped so that wheel speed matches vehicle speed so that the attempt to regain traction is as gentle as possible. It’s in these circumstances that the very low rpm are required.