Advice needed!

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Cage
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Advice needed!

Post by Cage »

Hello! Looking for some advice for the setup of a project. (EP3 Civic with K20, looking to fit throttle bodies and sort electronics at the same time)

I just about understand the very basics of electronics, so apologies in advance! If I do go ahead I will almost definitely get a professional to do the actual work!

I have a (fairly old, at least 10 years) S60, I was planning to use this with DTAs RTCX PDM and keypad. Then using a Race Technology Dash2 as the dash.

Will all of these work together? I wasn't sure if the S60 was maybe too old for the CAN stuff? The Dash2 is also pretty old so wasn't sure if that would have the same problem?

Would it be possible to keep it road legal? I think that is a "well, anything is possible" type question, and more down to my own setup and abilities than anything, but I guess that is mainly down to the number available outputs on the PDM? Feels like it may be pushing it with only 16 outputs on a road car?

I understand the basics of PDM and their functions, but does EVERYTHING need to go through the PDM/keypad? (I guess it does if all the standard ECU etc is replaced) But even window controls? Indicators? etc etc

Thanks!! :)

ETA: Also!! If I wanted to use these main electrical parts on another car (Hayabusa engined Westfield XTR2), I guess (with some careful wiring) I could set it up so I could switch between them fairly easily?

ETA2: Found some more info regarding keeping it road legal, and while I'm sure it's possible, it does look like so much more work compared to a race setup and I don't think I would bother with it at the moment.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Advice needed!

Post by Alex DTA »

If you want to use the RTCX to control fan and fuel pump, you'll need to update the firmware.
RTCX on a road car with lights is going to be a squeeze. You'll need to plan the outputs very carefully. I suspect you'll need an RTCM.

The RTCX has 4 digital inputs, so you can fit up to 4 physical switches to the RTCX.

You don't need an IVA, so road legal shouldn't be too difficult, but it will definitely add complexity.

I don't know enough about the dash to comment. You'll need to speak to someone who knows about them.

Moving ECU and PDM between cars should be simple enough, as long as you make the connectors easily accessible for unplugging.
Cage
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: Advice needed!

Post by Cage »

Alex DTA wrote:If you want to use the RTCX to control fan and fuel pump, you'll need to update the firmware.
RTCX on a road car with lights is going to be a squeeze. You'll need to plan the outputs very carefully. I suspect you'll need an RTCM.

The RTCX has 4 digital inputs, so you can fit up to 4 physical switches to the RTCX.

You don't need an IVA, so road legal shouldn't be too difficult, but it will definitely add complexity.

I don't know enough about the dash to comment. You'll need to speak to someone who knows about them.

Moving ECU and PDM between cars should be simple enough, as long as you make the connectors easily accessible for unplugging.
Thankyou for your reply!

I think trying to get all this going on a road car is a bit much for me now, will stick to more known solutions and ponder this one for the future.

I'll do more research to see if I can use the Dash with the rest for the race project.

Cheers!