Help with timing light

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: Help with timing light

Post by sterlingM »

I put an HT lead in there, again the same results. Works in the test screen and doesn’t work when in crank scope screen. Spark plug is installed, if it works in test screen doesn’t that mean I have it wired correctly.

I’m stumped.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

The test fires all the outputs at the same time, so won't tell you if you have cylinders in the wrong order (the ECU needs the coils wired in firing order).

It sounds like there's no spark being generated when the engine is cranking - is the ECU "syncing" when cranking? And is your coil 12v supply still "on" whilst cranking?
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

Ecu is syncing and I will text for 12v at coils this evening. Will check pin in your ecu plug housing too.

I did try to crank it without the scope on to see if the timing light would work, and it does not work at all. So even if they’re connected in the wrong order it should still fire just out of order, right?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The losing 12v on cranking is very possible...check your wiring.
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

What size wiring is required to get appropriate power to the coils? 4 coils
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

sterlingM wrote:What size wiring is required to get appropriate power to the coils? 4 coils
0.75mm^2 would be enough for most, but you could go heavier if you wanted.
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

Aside from a wiring issue, is there a setting I’m missing somewhere that might prevent the coils from firing during cranking?

Going to check voltage during cranking tonight, will report back
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

I have confirmed that i have 12v at the coil (12v supply) during cranking. At pins 1, 10, 18, and 26 on the ECU plug I do not have voltage. I have those wires coming straight off the coils to the pins on the ECU plug. Do I need to splice them in to 12v as well so they show 12v at the ECU plug? i should note that the wiring for the coils I have calls for a +5v igntion timing signal. I don't want to run +12v to those signal pins and mess up my coils.

In contrast the injectors that are on the same ECU plug show 12v both during cranking and not.

Thanks
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Just to re cap, do the plugs fire in test mode, yes or no? forget about the timing light.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

sterlingM wrote:I have confirmed that i have 12v at the coil (12v supply) during cranking. At pins 1, 10, 18, and 26 on the ECU plug I do not have voltage. I have those wires coming straight off the coils to the pins on the ECU plug. Do I need to splice them in to 12v as well so they show 12v at the ECU plug? i should note that the wiring for the coils I have calls for a +5v igntion timing signal. I don't want to run +12v to those signal pins and mess up my coils.

In contrast the injectors that are on the same ECU plug show 12v both during cranking and not.

Thanks
What ? explain exactly what you are doing with wiring.

And how are you achieving this 5v trigger instead of 12v ?