COP problem

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
andytat
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 80.11

COP problem

Post by andytat »

I've just fitted R8 COP's to an air cooled 911 engine and have run into a problem.
The ECU is an S80 and prior to the COP's I was running Jenvey ITB's and a single
coil with the original distributor. I removed the HT leads and dizzy cap, wired
the COP's as per instructions.
pin 1 to ign 12v
pin 2 to earth
pin 3 to ECU coil output
pin 4 to earth

The ECU outputs are wired per the firing order 1 6 2 4 3 5
The original coil cyl 1 output (pin10) to no 1 cyl
output 2 (pin 18) to cyl 6
output 3 (pin 1) to cyl 2
output 4 (pin 26) cyl 4
output 5 (pin 11) cyl 3
output 6 (pin 27) cyl 5
I reconfigured the ECU to run COP with amplified coils before connecting the coils
and started the engine which was running on 5 cylinders only. Shortly after starting
the engine there was a message on the screen saying the ECU is no longer communicating
with the laptop and the screen display had frozen. I tried to close the DTA program and
reopen it with the engine running but got a message saying com port 4 is not recognised.
I turned off the engine and reopened the DTA screen no problem, when I started the engine
the same thing happened so I double checked the wiring which all looks good and did a
coil check with the DTA diagnostics. No 1 coil output is not firing the coil, I tried another
new coil and it's the same, there is no output.
I don't really know what I could have done to loose the no 1 ignition output from the ECU.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Andy
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: COP problem

Post by stevieturbo »

Can you test for a signal to the coils from that output ?

What dwell time are you running ? I believe those coils run very short dwell times, circa 2000us.

Loss of communications is odd, is that fixed or still happening ?
andytat

Post by andytat »

Thanks for the reply Stevie.
When I run a coil test I have nothing from no1 output
I'm running 2000us dwell for the outputs
Loss of communication happens every time I start the engine.
I'm thinking that I should just send Alex the ECU so that he can check it.#
What do you think?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

loss of comms could be something with your 12v feed to the ecu during cranking ?

Can you monitor the 12v supply to the ecu during cranking ?

So you've tested with a meter or ideally a scope and you have nothing at all on that ecu output ? ( test with and without the coil plugged in )
andytat

Post by andytat »

Loss of comms only after the engine has started and ran for a few seconds.
12v supply while cranking is good
nothing from the ecu output either un plugged or plugged in. I have yet to check with a scope
as I need to bring it from work tomorrow.
andytat

Post by andytat »

Just to update I removed the COPs and refitted the original single coil and HT leads.
The engine started and ran fine so I left it like that since my last post. Last week I
decided to revisit the COP setup. I made a completely new harness, taking a lot of
care to make sure the wiring was spot on. The engine started an ran but I was still
having the same problem with the laptop comms and loosing comm port 4. I didn't
want to waste another week and possibly damage the ecu so I removed the COPs
and refitted the original coil etc and everything is fine once more.

Don't give me too much stick please but do you guys think it might have anything to
do with me using cheap Chinese COPs?

Cheers

Andy
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Is it running sequential or wasted spark? Could the COP be swapped to a 'working' cylinder or a paired cylinder to see if the problem moves? Does the ECU configuration know its COP'd with 6 cylinders - I know its obvious but gotta start somewhere!
Losing the coms port sounds like a loose wire / connection somewhere, maybe at the serial plugs?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

andytat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 am Just to update I removed the COPs and refitted the original single coil and HT leads.
The engine started and ran fine so I left it like that since my last post. Last week I
decided to revisit the COP setup. I made a completely new harness, taking a lot of
care to make sure the wiring was spot on. The engine started an ran but I was still
having the same problem with the laptop comms and loosing comm port 4. I didn't
want to waste another week and possibly damage the ecu so I removed the COPs
and refitted the original coil etc and everything is fine once more.

Don't give me too much stick please but do you guys think it might have anything to
do with me using cheap Chinese COPs?

Cheers

Andy
No idea if that is a cause....but if going to the trouble of going COP. ALWAYS use genuine OEM parts.

Aftermarket coils are almost never as good as the genuine OEM part. As for Chinese copies...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: