Check engine light

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Litle brother
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Check engine light

Post by Litle brother »

Hi.

Does the S80Pro offer the possibility for signal to a dashboard mounted "check engine light" ?
If so how do I do this?

Cheers
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Check engine light

Post by stevieturbo »

you could probably configure an aux out to offer something, but in no way would it represent any faults etc.
Gadgetman
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Gadgetman »

Not really, but you can configure warnings on the sensor inputs for water temp, air temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure etc.

These mainly flash warnings on the laptop screen of a connected computer during mapping etc. But I believe these will also turn on the gear shift light when the warnings are active? You could use this as a basic warning I suppose
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Gadgetman wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 pm Not really, but you can configure warnings on the sensor inputs for water temp, air temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure etc.

These mainly flash warnings on the laptop screen of a connected computer during mapping etc. But I believe these will also turn on the gear shift light when the warnings are active? You could use this as a basic warning I suppose
Correct
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

you can set warnings for low/high oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, fuel pressure, manifold pressure and air temp.

Alex, did you ever fix the engine shut down on 'high' oil pressure bug?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Rob Stevens wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:32 am Alex, did you ever fix the engine shut down on 'high' oil pressure bug?
I don't remember that one. Remind me of the problem.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Alex, yes I told you some years ago and hard for me to replicate without your test bench.

Principally I had the following set up.
Oil pressure with engine shutdown active.
Oil pressure warnings active, min at say 0.5bar and max set at its max of 10bar
When cold my engine could exceed 10bar and this initiated a shut down, with the flashing gear change light as the engine stopped.
We don't want an engine shut down on high oil at all!
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Wow - nearly 150psi pressure cold ! Wouldn't trimming the oil pressure relief spring make more sense? As I assume when warmed / hot the pressure never approaches that number so a lower cold pressure would have no affect?
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes this happened in the paddock warming up the engine, I use R30 caster oil, it being tolerant of methanol but it's like treacle when cold, most people use engine pre-heaters and normal oil to get round the poor cold performance of methanol. That's what I should do.
However I still don't think engine shut down on high oil is a good thing as its more likely going to be some issue with sensor or wiring