BASE START MAP NEEDED OR HELP

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Roger1275
ECU Model: S40 Pro

BASE START MAP NEEDED OR HELP

Post by Roger1275 »

Hi,
I am coming to the last part of restoring my 1965 Mini Cooper S 1275.
It has an Arden 8 port Head with Throttle Bodies 330cc Pico Injectors. It was running on the DTA S40 Pro ECU before.
However, I've updated the firmware to S40V89.0, and downloaded and running the the new DTASWin V90.30 software.
It has a new 36-1 timing disc and a new crank sensor.
I have used the crank oscilloscope - it recognises the setup, and returns a crank position at 86 degrees. This has been placed into the general engine settings.
The previous maps that worked before are loaded.
She starts with little cranking, but will not idle, if I try and help with the throttle - there is a bad flat spot and the exhaust is a little wet with fuel.
'Cos I'm in amoungst it, I feel I am becoming brain blind and can't think what I'm missing.
Shall I just go to the fuel map and half everything in the cells that are low throttle and low idle?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: BASE START MAP NEEDED OR HELP

Post by Rob Stevens »

So the only hardware that you have changed is the crank trigger? If so just count up how many teath BTDC the gap is and report back, the system report can be hit or miss but as it starts can't be that far out. Have you changed anything else? check
Roger1275
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by Roger1275 »

Hi Rob,
thankyou,
The gap is at 9 teeth BTDC.
The engine and head are as I removed it - undisturbed, same cam, same size valves.
The spark plugs are flooding on cylinders 2,3 & 4, changed them, runs ok with idle, exhaust still a little wet. Stop the engine for whatever reason.
When I start it again, misfiring again, remove plugs, replace and start the cycle again. I wouldn't mind but the spark plugs I am running are the NGK Iridiium CR8EIX at £10 a pop.
Ive placed an inline fuel pressure gauge - reading just under 3 bar.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

ok so the crank sensor setting looks ok, so the throttle stop is the same as before and you haven't changed the TPS position,
looks like something has happened with the firmware upgrade, email me your map please, swaxandpob(at)btinternet.com
Does the throttle % work ok in the live display window?
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Word of advice modern spark plugs and in my experience NGK in particular can't tolerate being soaked in fuel and if done, they work with all kind of faults, if they work at all! Personally, i'd fit cheap 'normal' plugs until the running is nearly spot on so you can afford to junk a few! Fouled plugs, even if cleaned, very rarely come back to useful life!
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Hi, I've had a look at your map and you have idle control turned on, on the S40 this function (when using a valve) is shared with injector output 2. Turn Idle control off and I think your problem will disappear.
You have some odd ignition timing around idle, you can try to use idle control with ignition, this works very well for me.