T8+ Cranking Issues on Vauxhall XE 2.0 ltr

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
matt.msja@gmail.com
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 0000

T8+ Cranking Issues on Vauxhall XE 2.0 ltr

Post by matt.msja@gmail.com »

Hi All,

Having an issue starting the car since T8+ ECU recall.

Cranking with the plugs out, the diagnostic shifts to "preparing to start" and all plugs are firing. However, with the plugs in, the diagnostic reads "Engine Not Turning". The engine obviously turns over faster without plugs than with plugs in. Crank sensor appears to be functioning okay.

Transition from cranking figure set at 500,the software will not allow you to lower this. Healthy battery and starter etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
stevieturbo

Re: T8+ Cranking Issues on Vauxhall XE 2.0 ltr

Post by stevieturbo »

Haven't used the T's yet...but I presume they do have a crank oscilloscope ? Do it and see what it's showing
matt.msja@gmail.com

Crank oscilloscope all looks ok.
its something within the cranking transition i think.
i will try another starter to see if its lack of turn over speed. it was all fine on the RR at Northampton Msport, could just be a coincidence that the starter has got a bit lazy.
David Ferguson
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by David Ferguson »

Is the crank a VR sensor? What are the peak voltages when cranking? VR sensors make more voltage the faster teeth move past them.
Gadgetman
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Gadgetman »

Also, are you getting any significant Voltage drop at the ecu, while cranking (with plugs in, compared to them out)?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

During cranking the fire point is taken from the 'firing tooth on start up' setting eg on a 36 tooth trigger and set at '1' the ecu will fire 10 deg BTDC.
Is it set something like this, might be set at 0 or 2 but check it is set to 1 as this would be the normal setting.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

matt.msja@gmail.com wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:08 pm Crank oscilloscope all looks ok.
its something within the cranking transition i think.
i will try another starter to see if its lack of turn over speed. it was all fine on the RR at Northampton Msport, could just be a coincidence that the starter has got a bit lazy.
What rpm is it cranking at then ?

A little info helps. As would a full image of the scope trace
matt.msja@gmail.com

hi
Thanks for taking the time to help, got it running tonight somehow the gap tooth setting had changed to 2000 when it should of been 1500, could anybody explain what this means, whilst it has fixed the problem i would like to understand why!!
Running an external 36 trigger wheel.
cheers
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

matt.msja@gmail.com wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:05 pm hi
Thanks for taking the time to help, got it running tonight somehow the gap tooth setting had changed to 2000 when it should of been 1500, could anybody explain what this means, whilst it has fixed the problem i would like to understand why!!
It is explained in the manual . . . . . :o
GAP TOOTH FACTOR
The missing teeth are detected by the time difference from the previous tooth. The gap tooth factor determines how much bigger the missing tooth time is before it is recognised as a missing tooth. This can be determined by cranking the engine and using the crankshaft oscilloscope. Clicking on the missing tooth in the oscilloscope display will tell you how much longer the missing tooth is than the tooth immediately before it. Standard factors for 1, 2 and 3 missing teeth are as below. Clicking on the “Set to Standard Button” will set to these values automatically. Sometimes it may be beneficial to increase or reduce these.
Missing Teeth / Gap Tooth Factor - 1 - 1500, 2 - 2000, 3 - 3000
matt.msja@gmail.com

cool
Thank you