It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:38 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Posts: 284
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29
If you read most of the Wideband Lambda controllers they ask that the controller be wired to ign. live so the sensor is pre-heated before starting - they should not be off if the engine is running - it shortens their life markedly!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 am
Posts: 38
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62
katana wrote:
If you read most of the Wideband Lambda controllers they ask that the controller be wired to ign. live so the sensor is pre-heated before starting - they should not be off if the engine is running - it shortens their life markedly!


I may be wrong...

Yes they should be on while engine is running, or like you say will shorten sensor life. How ever preheating them and running them while engine is not running is also bad, especially on engine cold starts. If the sensor is pre heated first, and then engine is started (especially cold start), condensation in the engine / exhaust can enter the hot sensor and crack the ceramic sensing element and destroy the sensor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Posts: 922
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)
I run them with the fuel pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 am
Posts: 38
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62
stevieturbo wrote:
Both their CAN lambda units are ridiculously expensive though.

And the Link unit requires data to be sent to the device before it will power the sensor etc and start sending data back. ie it will not operate if the engine is not running.

But yes, lambda onboard, or via serial/CAN properly rather than an analogue input is a better option.



The spartan ADV 3 could be a cheap CAN bus lambda controller.

https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-3-adv


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Posts: 284
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29
troy wrote:
Yes they should be on while engine is running, or like you say will shorten sensor life. How ever preheating them and running them while engine is not running is also bad, especially on engine cold starts. If the sensor is pre heated first, and then engine is started (especially cold start), condensation in the engine / exhaust can enter the hot sensor and crack the ceramic sensing element and destroy the sensor.


But surely then they will be wet / moist whenever you turn them on? Wideband sensors are heated continuously to ensure the device is stable and ensure accuracy. Likewise heated narrowband are heated continuously although not regulated due to straight battery / system voltage!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:03 pm
Posts: 1229
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79
katana wrote:
troy wrote:
Yes they should be on while engine is running, or like you say will shorten sensor life. How ever preheating them and running them while engine is not running is also bad, especially on engine cold starts. If the sensor is pre heated first, and then engine is started (especially cold start), condensation in the engine / exhaust can enter the hot sensor and crack the ceramic sensing element and destroy the sensor.


But surely then they will be wet / moist whenever you turn them on?


They will be, but when they're warmed up, that will evaporate.
It's the cold water upstream of the sensor that then lands on the now hot ceramic element, which can crack it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 am
Posts: 38
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62
Alex DTA wrote:
katana wrote:
troy wrote:
Yes they should be on while engine is running, or like you say will shorten sensor life. How ever preheating them and running them while engine is not running is also bad, especially on engine cold starts. If the sensor is pre heated first, and then engine is started (especially cold start), condensation in the engine / exhaust can enter the hot sensor and crack the ceramic sensing element and destroy the sensor.


But surely then they will be wet / moist whenever you turn them on?


They will be, but when they're warmed up, that will evaporate.
It's the cold water upstream of the sensor that then lands on the now hot ceramic element, which can crack it.



Alex, im making a new loom for my car, would like to go to CAN lambda, most likely the spartan one. I know when it was brought up earlier you said it was on the enhancements list, any idea of when that could be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:03 pm
Posts: 1229
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79
I have no firm date on that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC - 5 hours