Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
petercabrio

Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

Post by petercabrio »

i thought this was the area we request new features? :)

can i have it please
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

petercabrio wrote:i thought this was the area we request new features? :)

can i have it please
It is, but that isnt to say DTA actually read it ! Dont forget, this isnt an official forum.

One would hope they do read it now and again, but the best way to try and get a feature is ask directly.

Sometimes it does happen, more often it does not. Guess it just depends on how difficult it would be to implement.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Any rumors in the streets of any further updates?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Quiet year for updates. I hope they're busy making a new range of ECUs with integrated DBW and Haldex control 8-)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

In some ways DBW would be nice, but Ive yet to be impressed with any aftermarket DBW setup Ive used so far, although that is only limited to two ecu's

And the fact they offered only one map for pedal vs throttle....almost made it seem a complete waste of time other than the fact the car already has it fitted.

I assume the DTA hardware is still capable, a huge software upgrade would cover most things ? Assuming the outputs can actually cope.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

I really wish we could turn spare injector/ignition outputs into programmable outputs. I am dying for some nitrous logic.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

IMO, they should open up all outputs to be truly flexible, both Aux, inj and Ign, with a simple user built 2d, 3d or 4d table as required.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

stevieturbo wrote:In some ways DBW would be nice, but Ive yet to be impressed with any aftermarket DBW setup Ive used so far, although that is only limited to two ecu's

And the fact they offered only one map for pedal vs throttle....almost made it seem a complete waste of time other than the fact the car already has it fitted.

I assume the DTA hardware is still capable, a huge software upgrade would cover most things ? Assuming the outputs can actually cope.
Depends how you look at it and what you want. If you want to simply drop a DBW motor in and use the OEM harness, then the STC is extremely useful. The STC is also very flexible and can be used with any number of pedal / throttle combinations, unlike OEMs that use specific pairings.

Another thing I like about the STC is exactly that single pedal vs throttle map!
If you've ever driven a DBW engine where they've used pedal translation and a massive blade to deliver peak torque as quickly as possible (as laid out in the original design brief), a linear map is very welcome 8-)

TCWin does have the ability to vary the blade % vs pedal % though. The only problem is the S80 safety check sees any movement other than linear as an error and goes into limp mode. That's something I'm sure Mr Allan has in the pipeline to correct at some point.

Anyway, I'm hanging in there for a smaller unit with everything built in, at DTA's usual keen price 8-)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So in effect, all you're trying to do is replicate a mechanical throttle, which makes it pointless.

As for an ability to vary the blade vs pedal. So does every DBW capable ecu. But a single map again.....IMO pointless. There needs to be multiple maps available

The only two Ive used are a Syvecs and GEMS based setup.

Syvecs was not as tidy as it could be due to requiring an external DBW box. And on closing throttle, it was unable to close the throttle fast enough causing rpm's to hang, or even rise once engine load was removed ( ie pressing the clutch to change gear ).
They were supposed to send me a different calibration for the DBW controller thwt may help this situation, but they never did. Managed to get some sort of a work around by cutting fuel on rapid pedal lifting at higher rpm's. Not ideal by any means

The GEMS was neater as everything was integral, and in general it worked pretty well. But again only a single pedal map.

DBW does have potential, but I sure wont be changing any time soon, on any ecu.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

stevieturbo wrote:IMO, they should open up all outputs to be truly flexible, both Aux, inj and Ign, with a simple user built 2d, 3d or 4d table as required.
Can't see that happening based on the chip they use, I'd expect to see a new unit developed first.

Link haven't used ST10 for nearly 10 years - mind you, Link ecus are still rubbish to use in my opinion and I'd rather use a DTA even though it's more limited, depending on application.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |