Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

Post by Alex DTA »

Check your air temp compensations are correct.
Otherwise, as the others say, closed loop will fix that.
Fredrik
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by Fredrik »

A way to map or shape the interpolation curve between two main ignition, and fuel maps based on ethanol content..

Also shape the interpolation curve between 2 boost target/boost PWM maps for petrol and e85.

That way one can tailor the main maps between e85 and petrol almost perfectly.. I don´t like to alter a map by a percentage according to ethanol content. It just leavs to much performance and safety benifits left on the table.

Also be able to have a 0-5v signal as ethanol content would ad a lot more flexabilety and e85 solutions to choose from.

These features are more or less a deal breaker for me on a new DTA ecu..
Can I expect any of this in the future or does it take more than a software solution to make it posible?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

I'm not sure what you're asking.
Give me an example for the fuel map interpolation/compensations.

Which sensors send a 0-5v signal for Ethanol content? How do they monitor fuel temperature?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I think there are some analogue sensors....and they simply do not send temperature.
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

Thanks for quick replyes..

Don´t almost all e85 gauge kits output linear 0-5v to ethanol content ?..

This is the one I have: http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

As mensioned I think it can only output a linear 0-5v ethanol content signal.. It can SHOW temps with a flick of a switch though. If the ethanol input in the DTA ECU:s will accept 0-5v I bet it can be used in a lot of different ways to alter timeing fuel or boost.. If the fetures below are implemented somehow.

Sorry I would try to explain my interpolation thing..

If you have one petrol tune on a main fuel ignition and boost PWM/target table..
And then make a tune for another set of ignition fuel and boost tables but with ethanol.. To have the ability to adjust the interpolation curve in a 2d grid BETWEEN the main ethanol and petrol tables..

% BETWEEN cells from petrol and ethanol tables in one axis
Ethanol content in the 2nd axis

Just to add a percentage of fuel or timeing on a petrol map acording to a ethanol content will yeald a fuel and ignition table that is all over the place at e85 and not "tuned" at each cell of the table.

Lets say the petrol map has 10 deg of timeing and 1 bar of boost..
And the 100% ethanol map has 2 bar of boost and 20 deg timeing.
If the interpolation is linear 50% ethanol content will yeld a 15 deg timeing and 1,5 bar boost. That would probebly work well for fuel.. And you get a perfect lineraisation between every cell in the fuel table between tuned ethanol and petrol tables. Not just a percentage change of the hole fuel table..

And if you can adjust the interpolation curve for boost you can have the "petrol boost" even if the ethanol content is 15% then adjust boost linear to maybe 85% and then keep that boost level all the way to 100% ethanol content.. Its to add some safety.. I would probebly keep the petrol ignition timeing too to about 15% ethanol before I start to add timeing.. Here in Sweden petrol has about 10% ethanol from the gas stations. And e85 varies alot in content according to summer or winter etc..

Also it is important to have some type of simular interpolation function for cold starts between e85 and petrol..

I realy hope this makes sence and I got this right.. Will something like this be implemented at some point or does it require different harware?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

E85 - you don't need a kit. The ECU can read the sensor directly.

I'll read the rest of your query tomorrow, it requires some time.
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

Yes I know you just need the recomended sensor.. But in my case I want a kit to have a e85 gauge. And to connect a e85 gauge to the ecu I need it to accept 0-5v.. Otherwise I need 2 sensors and it gets both complicated and expensive with high flow fuel systems with PTFE hoses, hose ends, low flow sensors and space etc..
Edit: Or maybe I can split the frequency signal from the sensor and wire in both ecu and gauge ..

As the DTA software is set up now I can use a analog 0-5 volt input and changed the complete main ignition and fuel map by a procentage and output a pwm to a seconday boost valve to alter boost.. I have not tested it yet though and it is not how I would like to set it up. Since there are only a few flexible analogs it would be better if the intended etanol input could manage fuel ignition and boost better so the flexible analogs can be used for other stuff..

To my experiance e85 takes a massive amount of fuel to get the engine to start proppely and I have not figgured out how to manage a flexifuel set up to handle that.
Maybe ignition also would be benificial if it was adjustable for coldstart with e85 compared to petrol.
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

Alex... any thoughts about these fetures?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Fredric
I think the things you need are mostly there already. If you fit the sensor the fuel corrections are ready, it looks like it will auto correct fuel for 0 - 100 % ethanol content. What it can't do is alter boost per % ethanol content, Alex could add a simple extra option just like the gear or speed modifiers already in the turbo control settings. If the ethanol content was added as one of the known inputs to the ana inputs / PWM outputs that can be displayed on your dash also. I personally run a methanol engine but havnt used this sensor, indeed it doesn't like starting.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Frederic

For the fueling side of your request, there is no need to interpolate between petrol and ethanol. It's a simple formula based on the ethanol content, and there is no need to interpolate between the two.

Timing is slightly different, and I can see an argument for a full 20x14 compensation map for ignition.
I also want to add boost compensations for ethanol.
It will go on the enhancement list, but it's not a high priority, so I can't give you any estimate for a release date.

If you want to use an external ethanol controller, you'll need to use one of the flexible analogues. Even if I added support for that directly it would use the same input.