Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

Post by stevieturbo »

BeetleBug wrote:Interesting thread. The M800 is a high end ECU but you get almost the same features from the cheaper M84.

Both superior to the DTA due to a couple of simple things, first off: flexibility.
But dont forget....there is a new M1 series in the pipeline too lol

More flexibility and functionality I'm sure could be added to the DTA. In some way's DTA's simplicity makes it excellent and easy to use. In others it can be frustrating when you want to do more.

Oh, and forgot one of the oldest gripes...

Proper live tuning software ( no dyno boxes or dyno screens used )
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Last time I checked an M800 was nearly 3 times the price of an S80 - and to get the same features you need to pay more for option codes to unlock the features you require - this is not a bad thing in itself, but you are comparing the DTA with a different end of the market. M84 is still more expensive, the main advantage I see is onboard Lambda control (wire ecu straight to Lambda sensor).

Realtime/live laptop keyboard tuning would be a feature that I would like to see implemented (even in the next series of ECU) but having said that now that I have tuned one using a knob box I certainly prefer that over trying to hit keyboard buttons.
One of the reasons is possibly the perceived advantage rather than actual usability increase. Like wanting Sequential instead of batch/group injection when the injectors are at 90% duty anyway haha - no real advantage yet it sells units!

For the price point I think they offer great features, especially since the last update which divorced the Aux outputs from Analogue inputs if required.

The only things that spring immediately to mind would be:
  • Aircon request/output control based on selectable load/rpm
  • Stepper control would be nice.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Do you guys think there is a "new generation" of ECU in development?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I saw it mentioned thats all, I have no idea, and I doubt it seeing as there are regular firmware updates for the current series and is early in it's life as far as I can tell.
Currently they are not exactly left behind on features, every ECU has pros and cons with features - it just depends what you're using it for exactly.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

ignitionautosport wrote: Realtime/live laptop keyboard tuning would be a feature that I would like to see implemented (even in the next series of ECU) but having said that now that I have tuned one using a knob box I certainly prefer that over trying to hit keyboard buttons.
The issue is that a knob box assumes everyone will use a dyno.

We dont all use dynos.

Another nice feature would be knock detection, as many other ecu's do it now only listening for knock during a certain crank angle window for each cylinder so we know which cylinder is suspect.

I dont even care about knock control, just the ability to detect and log it.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Another might be communication with Innovate's serial stream for logging. Preferably logging on DTA, but if there wasnt enough capacity, logging it all onto Innovate in stead
Nem

Post by Nem »

+1 on the Knock Detector
V40gt
Firmware Version: 62

Post by V40gt »

What about marking cells in logs and showing the marked spots on maps?
As on Autronic.
Would help tuning quite a bit!
V40 Turbo DTA S80pro
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

V40gt wrote:What about marking cells in logs and showing the marked spots on maps?
As on Autronic.
Would help tuning quite a bit!
Explain ?

Do you mean some sort of ghost trace ?
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Actually - Megalogviewer supports this sort of. Perhaps I can talk to Phil again. In MLV, you load an MSQ (tune file) and a log, then the log plays and goes by the tune. So it shows the table of spark/fuel next to the datalog and floats a cursor around the map as you go. Somewhat useful. The cooler thing is "VE Analyze" which looks at the fuel table and then looks at actual vs target afr. If actual is 10% leaner than target, it takes total PW and multiplies by 1.10 in the appropriate cell, so you can "auto tune" by analyzing the log files after the fact. Very handy - probably one of the most missed features of MegaSquirt for me.

I'll email Phil.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW