Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Efi Guy
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: VW Speed Shop
Firmware Version: 63

Re: Feature Request thread ( make sticky )

Post by Efi Guy »

VR6Turbo wrote:Quiet year for updates. I hope they're busy making a new range of ECUs with integrated DBW and Haldex control 8-)
I hope they don't as I'd be paying for more stuff I don't want - ;)
t16_rally
Distributor: KL RACING

Post by t16_rally »

Hello guys.
I Think that it would make mapping easier if you could start off with fewer load sites and fewer rpm sites. and then implement sites (lines, columns) where you need it.

ex. if you shall map a na Engine that goes to 8500 rpm and tps 0-100 % then start off with every thousand rpm and maybe 10,20,30,50,70,100% tps. that will get you a lots of lesser Points you have to run over Before you start the finetune. then Before finetune you put in the lines, columns you need. when you put in a line it automaticly gets the number between the ones next to it.

and if, dont forget to get ability to put in a new first line, like if you have 40 kpa but need a 30 when you run barometric.

Otherwise i Think it works very well, consistent and the knobtuning works perfekt. no need for changing that. I work in a chassies dyno, when mapping on road maybee it would be easier without dynobox.

unbeatable box for the price, thanks DTA....

/ Matti Johansson, SWEDEN work mostly rallycars.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Just thought as an update to this, I'd add a list that I did pass this list below onto DTA a couple of months ago.. Hopefully some of these may be implemented in future.

In no particular order.

1. Open up both lambda channels for logging regardless of sequential. Just because you cannot adjust each bank, doesnt mean reading mixtures on both is useless. It would be very handy and functional. Having an input sitting there idle is just a waste.

2. Idle speed control by advance *and* PWM.

2.5 I dont see an option to increase idle speed on first start.. Only temperature based settings. None time related ?

3. Over-run shut off by MAP *and* TPS / RPM.

4. Cam advance by oil temp

5. Idle on / off points separately adjustable and by TPS number instead of %

6. Individual output test for each and every output. Inj/coil and Aux PWM’s etc

7. dead time tables for each set of injectors, most bike racing series you cant change the injectors, it would be nice if we could have the dead time correct on top and bottom injectors.

8. Pri/Sec injector offset. To allow the easy use of different sized injectors when running duals.

9. Divorce shift light and warning light’s

10. More breakpoints in tables, ( both rpm and load ) some times with high revving or high boost engines there is a point that you cant get quite right then you have to change the RPM range and then have to start the mapping from scratch, in the motec you can "push" a new row into the table with out changing the rest.
Also useful to have more points when using lots of boost. When using boost ranges from say 10-40psi, suddenly the existing table becomes very limited.

11. oil temp on the real time display.

12. Divorce Aux and Ana functions. It makes little sense to have these married together restricting usage.

12.5. Likewise, any spare inj/coil outputs could be freed up to use for other functions.

13. Can all Aux outputs be made flexible PWM’s with full 3d tables, maybe a 4d option ?

14. One user asked if some or all of the Aux outputs could vary frequency as opposed to PW

15. Divorce ALS functions from the MAP1/2. ALS should be a separate function entirely.

16. Proper live tuning software ( not 100% dyno based ). Simple select cells, +/- live changes etc etc. Stuff to make road tuning easier.

17. More logging ? user selectable logging frequency of individual channels. Some might be faster, some slower.
Logging of any corrections being applied etc. When viewing logs, I often see strange and abrupt changes in injector PW and duty, yet no apparent change in engine load. So some compensation or control is doing this. Ive just no idea what. Oddly it mostly happens in 3rd gear only.

18. Some way of faster downloads. Several minutes via serial is just crazy. Ive never used an ecu with such slow download speeds for such little information.

19. More live boost adjustment options. Launch and TCS. Again, TCS aggression and launch RPM can be adjusted....except they use the same input.
There are only 2 boost maps. More would be nice. Some systems use a “cal” switch with variable resistance settings to give multiple map settings, be they boost, TCS or launch parameters. Some with 8-12 different settings available.
Until I had used such ecu’s, I always thought this was overkill. It’s very useful though. The switch is basically doing what the variable pot does, except with distinct positions.

Basically you set a base boost target, or launch rpm target. The cal switch settings then allow you a +/- of this value on each setting. 8 positions here gives a lot of flexibility to the driver.

20. more functional Nitrous control setup. Although more flexible Aux out PWM’s would cover this.

21. PWM fuel pump control output. Some people are using controllers or solid state relays now. So a fast enough PWM for these would be nice. Apparently 10-20khz is needed.
More useful on powerful cars requiring multiple pumps.

22. as above, some people want to use PWM for an electric water pump control.

23. Option for knock detection/logging, even if there is no control

24. Option for virtual switching. Like turning a function off/on via any input channel. eg launch control via time. Instead of activating by a switch, activate by wheel speed.
Or similarly, launch control function is active when speed is below x mph, and turns off above z mph. So it doesnt require the use of an input function at all, freeing up that input for other things.

25. Fuel correction map, Lambda PC logging etc changes can only be applied to MAP1. This makes tuning when using MAP2 more annoying.
The corrections should be able to be applied to whichever MAP the tuner is using at that time. Likewise, ghost trace function only seems to work on MAP1 ?

26. The scope trace is handy, but would it be possible to have it displayed as a proper scope trace, so users can see voltages recorded and the actual waveform ? For some it would be more useful and be of more help diagnosing problems.

27. Engine safety limp modes. ie, exceed oil temp, water temp, low oil pressure etc can cause a limp mode. Restricted rpm seems easiest.

28. Internal monitor of fuel pressure relative to MAP. Again with a limp mode option should relative fuel pressure fall outside a safe margin indicating a fuel supply problem.

29. Some users like the idea of a Lambda safety feature. ie MAP, TPS, RPM etc above a certain threshold and Lambda too lean for a period of time can cause a fault/limp condition.

30. Boost control.

20x14 table, could this have user selectable axis ? That might cover speed, TPS, RPM etc options
I see once you select this you can no longer do gear or speed related control ?

Again, the thread is still alive, and all sensible suggestions welcome.
TRN
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 89

Post by TRN »

Although not an active user (grateful lurker), I've got an addition to the list;

Add calculated channels to the datalogging feature. For instance allow user to implement a logging parameter calculating left vs right driven wheel speed, loggin differential slip. Or any other parameter based on some user-selected analogue inputs for that matter.
Would improve the logging feature big time.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

not sure if its in the newest updates but id like the aux channel to be turned off with another input, not just turned on?

2.5 idle rise at first stat. mine seems to do that anyway?

Drew
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

There is no feature or control options that would control a high rpm at start though ? Valve duty is fixed as per table.

TRN wrote:Although not an active user (grateful lurker), I've got an addition to the list;

Add calculated channels to the datalogging feature. For instance allow user to implement a logging parameter calculating left vs right driven wheel speed, loggin differential slip. Or any other parameter based on some user-selected analogue inputs for that matter.
Would improve the logging feature big time.
If you were to try Megalog viewer, and contacted Phil Tobin. That is probably possible with his software.
Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

ahh, im on ignition control, maybe that's why.
not really looked but im guessing it gives max ignition advance you've set at start and trims it back till its at required idle target?

still no use to you though.

Drew
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Even with timing control, there is no specific feature or settings that recognise a first start of the engine in order to deliberately achieve a high idle for a pre-determined period.

Although I see the new software actually allows you to pull back timing on idle control. Previously it had only allowed timing increases.
Not that is particularly relevant to that request lol

But it is better to run a high base table, and have idle control pull timing out to control idle speed. Then restore a high number for driving off when idle control turns off.
Efi Guy
Distributor: VW Speed Shop
Firmware Version: 63

Post by Efi Guy »

16. Proper live tuning software ( not 100% dyno based ). Simple select cells, +/- live changes etc etc. Stuff to make road tuning easier.

10. More breakpoints in tables, ( both rpm and load ) some times with high revving or high boost engines there is a point that you cant get quite right then you have to change the RPM range and then have to start the mapping from scratch, in the motec you can "push" a new row into the table with out changing the rest.

Essential=but don't hold your breath
Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

yeah i have that idle setup on mine, its good, but im still chasing it a little. having the extra air option added to the ignition would be helpful.

Drew