A little help?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mrduc

A little help?

Post by mrduc »

Fitting s80 pro in audi 5 cylinder and looking for a bit of help and advice.

As far as i understand things im going to be running it as v10.
I have honda s2000 coils which i hope should be ok ?(3 wire denso).

Crank sensor wheel has been made but not sure best crank sensor to get hold of yet so advice needed there.

If im running as wasted spark i shouldnt need coil or any cam sensor ?,originaly car ran distributor with hall effect cam.

Engine has a 6 wire bosch tps so im thinking i can still use if i find out what 3 terminals to use ?

Water temp sensor should be sorted as its a 2 wire bosch unit.

If im right above should get car running but looking to confirm things and what sensors to use. Oh and what lead do i need for plugging into laptop?
Thanks.

Steve
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: A little help?

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty much any magnetic 2 wire sensor should do for the crank. DTA usually sells a Ford item as fitted to most 2.0 4cyl Zetec's or twin cams I think.

Dont know anything about those coils, but I'm sure they will work.

Not sure what is required of a 5 cyl. I suspect you may need a cam sensor on the S80 due to the unequal firing angles. I'm sure an email to Allan can confirm this.
Are you looking to remove the old cam trigger ?

As long as the TPS has a potentiometer inside then it should be fine. Sometimes older cars also had WOT and closed switches as well as the pot. Maybe this accounts for other wires ?
But you will need to identify which one has the swiper arm. A multimeter across the pins should show this.
Either a rising or decreasing resistance across 2 pins. And a fixed resistance across another of the 2.

If the temp sensor is roughly 2500ohms at 20degC, then it's just your average NTC sensor and will work just fine.
Although new sensors really arent expensive, and the NTC Bosch format is almost universal in modern cars.
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

Thanks for reply. I was hoping to remove the distributor if it was not required for a cam signal but after a bit more reading its looking like i might need it due to individual coils.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

mrduc wrote:Thanks for reply. I was hoping to remove the distributor if it was not required for a cam signal but after a bit more reading its looking like i might need it due to individual coils.
I dont think it's so much the individal coils, but the unequal firing angles. You arent able to enter different firing angle figures into the DTA unless you are running sequential.
Maybe that's the same thing lol
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

My brain is frying lol. Trying to decide what coil o/p i would use to set up as v10 .
Firing order is 12453. Am i going down wrong rd here and should i just wire coils up individualy instead of going wasted spark?
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

The best thing to do is to phone Allan at DTA tomorrow and ask his advice directly, he will be able to tell you exactly what you require, I think you might need an S100.

Martin
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

I made some enquiries, you need an S80, individual coils run in "twin spark" (wasted spark) mode, set engine to 10 cylinders, coils have to be wired to outputs in a specific firing order, no cam sensor required.

Martin
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

I was thinking similar but i notice it states in manual that 8 cylinder wasted spark,twin spark is max allowed configuration.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

mefmotorsport wrote:I made some enquiries, you need an S80, individual coils run in "twin spark" (wasted spark) mode, set engine to 10 cylinders, coils have to be wired to outputs in a specific firing order, no cam sensor required.

Martin
Surely in twin spark, outputs 1-4 mirror outputs 5-8 ?

So that only offers 4 equal/opposite firing angles ?

Or does the 10cyl setting override this ?
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

it has the audi settings in the old P8 wiring diagram...

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Wiri ... iagram.pdf

Drew