A little help?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mrduc

Re: A little help?

Post by mrduc »

I have been trying to test coils using diagnostic and test functions in dtaswin but cant get them to spark,no signal from ecu. Is there anything im missing here? all other test functions work ie fuel pump,injectors. Tested coil using probe and all fine.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

And I presume the coils are being tested on a manner where they are able to work ?

ie wired correctly, and spark plugs all grounded etc ?
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

stevieturbo wrote:And I presume the coils are being tested on a manner where they are able to work ?

ie wired correctly, and spark plugs all grounded etc ?
All wired correctly and just no signal coming from ecu. Took a coil off car and and used a probe to trigger it no problem. They are just 3 pin denso coils from an s2000 so live,earth and signal. Will be double checking everything today to make sure everything good and might try other ecu in it.

Id imagine even with coils all disconected the ecu would still put out the signal feed as have been checking for it that way aswell but nothing.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

The ecu doesn't put out anything when there's no coil connected as it is normally held high by the coil up to +12v, the ecu signal then pulls this down to ground (this is assuming non amplified coils) so you can't measure an output signal without the coil connected. Are you sure these coils are not active devices with internal amps? can you measure the resistance of the coil where the signal goes in, between that and +ve should be very low resistance, say 1 ohm?

Martin
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

I will be heading to workshop soon so will have a check. I notice in the manual a bit about s2000 coils where it says s2000 map must be loaded before coils are connected so not sure if these coils are going to be usable on the audi.
On another note did you get my email Martin?
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

I just found your email in the spam filter! Have just replied by email,

cheers,

Martin
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

It seems to me that if these coils are from a Honda S2000 then they are amplified coils (ie they have external amplifiers built in.

As per the DTA handbook, it clearly states that you MUST load the relevant map with the "external coil amps" ticked BEFORE you attempt to connect to the coils, otherwise you will destroy either the coils or the ecu driver chips.

I looked at the Honda S2000 map and it certainly has the box ticked for external amp coils. This could be your problem, you might have accidently damaged the coils or the ecu or even both.

It maybe worth sending the ecu back to DTA for checking over.

Martin
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

How did you get on with this?
mrduc

Post by mrduc »

VR6Turbo wrote:How did you get on with this?

I was on here earlier reading my thread as needed to remind myself and finally geting back to the car after a few busy months.
The ecu was sent back to Alan as needed a repair and dug it out of the box yesterday afternoon,connected it all and got the car running so im a happy boy.

This forum has been a great help and cant thank everyone enough for all the help and avice :)