Coil amp temperature too high

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
matrox
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Coil amp temperature too high

Post by matrox »

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me.

I'm new here and installed a DTA S40 in a Corolla 1.6 4A-GZE supercharger for a friend of mine.
Everything seemed to be fine and after creating a base map it came alive.

But then the problem occurs, a pop-up screen shows that the Coil amp temperatures got too high and need to reduce the coil-on time. Then the engine stops in order to protect against overheating the amps.
The coil-on time is already on it's lowest setting, so that's not the problem.

When the engine revs above 1500 rpm the amp temperature stays fine but when it drops below 1500 rpm to idle the temperature immediately goes up again.

I use the Ford EDIS coil pack because at first i thought it was because of the Toyota coil packs, but this doesn't make a change.

Did i miss something or do i have to change settings in the software?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Coil amp temperature too high

Post by stevieturbo »

There are only 2 options.

Those for inductive coils where the ecu drives them directly and carries all current.

Or those with either an external amp, or amp built into the coil ( same thing as far as the ecu is concerned ), where the ecu simply triggers the coil.

The two styles use opposite strategies for turning off/on so if it's wrong you can overheat coil/driver. There is another oddball that Honda do, but think it's only them.

Not totally familiar with EDIS, but do the EDIS coils not also need the EDIS controller ? or can they be used as standalone ?
matrox

Post by matrox »

Thanks for your reply stevieturbo,

As far i know the EDIS Coils don't need the EDIS controller as well and can directly be driven.

What i have is the first option you mentioned, directly and the ecu carries all current.

Can it be that it needs a sort of resistor/ballast because the resistance is too low and that's what heating up the coil driver?
Because it only happens when the engine runs idle and there is more time for the coil driver to heat up?
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I run an EDIS coil pack directly on my car, it's one of the standard ones we build looms for. You don't need any resistor.
Coil on time is 3000uS on mine.

There's something else going on here. Upload a copy of your map for us to look at.
Have you got battery compensations turned on?
matrox

Post by matrox »

Hmm battery compensations, thought i had seen everything in DTASwin but i never checked that out.
I took the 1600 Series 2 Zetec map and modified it to get the engine running.
As far i can see (don't have the map with me) "Use coil Time table" is not selected and coil on time is 4000 in that table.
Maybe that's the reason why changing the coil on time in "General engine settings" didn't make a difference?

The funny thing is that i called the dyno tuner about this problem, and he told me not to worry about it and bring the car to him to solve it out and fine tune the map.
They have been a day working without result cause they couldn't find the problem.
Except that my friend had to pay 400 Euro.

I will take a look at it tomorrow and really hope that's the solution.

Thank you sparrow.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

How have you the coil wired ?

Do you have a multimeter or scope that gives you a pulse width or dwell time measurement ?

that would help give a clue as to how long the coil is being turned on for, and whether it is excessive.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

matrox wrote:Hmm battery compensations, thought i had seen everything in DTASwin but i never checked that out.
I took the 1600 Series 2 Zetec map and modified it to get the engine running.
As far i can see (don't have the map with me) "Use coil Time table" is not selected and coil on time is 4000 in that table.
Maybe that's the reason why changing the coil on time in "General engine settings" didn't make a difference?

The funny thing is that i called the dyno tuner about this problem, and he told me not to worry about it and bring the car to him to solve it out and fine tune the map.
They have been a day working without result cause they couldn't find the problem.
Except that my friend had to pay 400 Euro.

I will take a look at it tomorrow and really hope that's the solution.

Thank you sparrow.
If the check box at the bottom isn't ticked, then the values in the column won't do anything.
If you can, upload a copy of the map. The answer is usually in there.
matrox

Post by matrox »

Sorry, did not had time yet to continue with this project.
I will upload the current map when i have time.

@stevieturbo, i can borrow an oscilloscope from my boss if really needed. And what do you exactly want to know about the wiring?

The last news:
The engine runs idle without the ecu getting hot by using PID loop and set the minimum idle level at 15 Degrees. Because as soon it wants to advance less to let's say 5 Degrees it starts to get hot again. It sounds illogical to me but it works for now and i'm getting closer.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

something is very wrong with your setup!

the coil drivers clip the current to 9 amps, i have run several race bikes with coils drawing that much (well they would draw more if they could) and never even had the ecu get warm!

check the coil wiring are you 100% sure you have the correct setup for your coils?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

matrox wrote:Sorry, did not had time yet to continue with this project.
I will upload the current map when i have time.

@stevieturbo, i can borrow an oscilloscope from my boss if really needed. And what do you exactly want to know about the wiring?

The last news:
The engine runs idle without the ecu getting hot by using PID loop and set the minimum idle level at 15 Degrees. Because as soon it wants to advance less to let's say 5 Degrees it starts to get hot again. It sounds illogical to me but it works for now and i'm getting closer.
I want to know exactly how you have wired it. It is simple and straightforward, but sometimes people can do the strangest things.

And if you have a scope and a current clamp, that will tell you exactly how much dwell, and more importantly how long current is actually flowing for which is ultimately what matters.
Monitor the 12v line to the coil

If dwell is inverted, ie wrong settings this will tell you.