36-1 trigger

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
gigford
ECU Model: S60 Pro

36-1 trigger

Post by gigford »

Hello everyone!

I am about to install a 36-1 ring to my Ford cosworth crank pulley and need your confirmation whether the position of the ring is correct.

I was advised to set the engine 90 deg BTDC than position the ring such that the trailing edge of the 1st tooth after the gap is in the centre of the crank sensor.

The pulley has 4 teeth now so was quite easy to set it at 90 deg BTDC:
DSCN0778.JPG
The cps is around 4 o'clock:
DSCN0780.JPG
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: 36-1 trigger

Post by stevieturbo »

That air gap looks quite large, and depending on what ecu you are using, position may not matter.

But if you're happy with the position of the trailing edge of the tooth after the gap 90deg before TDC, then that's fine

S series can go anywhere, older EX48 or P8 you'd still be within range.
gigford
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by gigford »

stevieturbo wrote:That air gap looks quite large, and depending on what ecu you are using, position may not matter.

But if you're happy with the position of the trailing edge of the tooth after the gap 90deg before TDC, then that's fine

S series can go anywhere, older EX48 or P8 you'd still be within range.
I only hold the ring with my hand in the picture, it will be in the inner side of the pulley and gapped properly. I just made this photo for illustration only.

I have a S60 so i am ok then.

Thank you!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Yep, it can go anywhere so 90deg is fine
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Low compression engines like yours is fairly irrelevant.
With high compression engines, and especially very light bike engines, it's important to make sure the gap in the crank trigger gap passes the sensor as piston 1 rises to TDC. This ensures the crank is slowing down, and ensures the crank signal is strong enough.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Out of curiosity why would a slowing crankshaft produce a stronger signal, conversely why would an accelerating crank make a weaker signal?
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes I believe the converse is true. But at cranking speed the rpm is very erratic and I think that's the point and 90deg is the recommended and you can do that then that's fine.
Just make sure you check with a timing light as it won't be exactly 90deg
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

A slowing crank doesn't produce a stronger signal from the sensor, that is constant. It's the way the ECU processes that signal.

The ECU looks for the gap by measuring the time seen between each tooth. If the gap passes the sensor on the down stroke of a piston, the time seen between successive teeth is less than it would be on the upward stroke.
On very light, high compression engines, this acceleration can be enough that the gap passes the sensor so quickly relative to the previous teeth, that it doesn't appear as a gap.
gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 »

Thanks for clarifying that.