Does a hall effect crank sensor require shielded wire?

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
re33
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Does a hall effect crank sensor require shielded wire?

Post by re33 »

I am doing a loom for a K20A2 and just wanted to check if hall effect crank and cam sensors need shielded wire? I have only used VR type CPS before which I know are very sensitive to interference.

Thanks
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Does a hall effect crank sensor require shielded wire?

Post by Alex DTA »

Yes
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I'll disagree.

It is good practise to shield wires like that, but for hall sensors definitely not essential.

VR sensors, 99.99% yes......but I've seen many builds that simply used twisted wires and VR sensors and no issues ether so I'll leave that 0.01% out lol
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Plenty of bikes use / have used single or multiple VR pick-ups, they are never shielded and there's plenty of electrical noise with bike electrics so - jury's out IMO (not to say I included a shielded cable in my loom though! LOL)
re33

Post by re33 »

Thanks for replies. I think if I could easily get 3 core wire with shield I probably would just use it anyway but can only see 2 core plus shield for sale online which partly made me think it must not be used very often.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

So first hand I was troubleshooting this for a good amount of time. Shield the cable. If you don't, and you've got a lot of interference you can get false triggers - especially if your hall sensor is in the 2.7 - 5v signal range.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Antral

Post by Antral »

Not essential but I would use 3 core shielded to eliminate any interference, when making a loom their is no reason not to at the outset and would eliminate a possible problem.

Tony.