KTM 500EXC flywheel problem

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
szutsgabor
ECU Model: S60 Pro

KTM 500EXC flywheel problem

Post by szutsgabor »

Hy!

We are trying to start a KTM 500 exc (2014) engine with DTA S60 ECU.
The problem is that on this engine's flywheel there are 18 normal teeth, and instead of one missing teeth there is one longer teeth.
If i check the CPS with a normal oscilloscope the reference teeth is recognizable, but if i crank the engine and watch it in swin crankshaft oscilloscope it cant detect any reference teeth. however the engine cant start while cranking, no spark, no injection no fuel pump -> DTA cant sync the CPS.

Is there any way that this engine can start with a DTA ECU with stock timing gear?
Attachments
dta crank.jpg
dta_crank.png
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: KTM 500EXC flywheel problem

Post by Rob Stevens »

Have you tried the sensor the other way round?
Or grind the large tooth off if it still won't go. But check with Alex before you do this.
szutsgabor

Post by szutsgabor »

I didn't tried to reverse the sensor yet.
If there is no other option, we will grind the long tooth, but first i try to go with a non destructive modification :D
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

The long tooth should show as a missing tooth.

If it's 18 normal teeth, and then a long one, I suspect it will register as a 20 - 2.

From your crank trace, it looks like the gap tooth factor isn't right for your set up. You'll need to play around with that as well. What's the current value?
szutsgabor

Post by szutsgabor »

For now it is set to 18-1, with 1500 gap tooth factor, sensor position 80° (that is just approximate value yet), Firing tooth on startup is 0 now, flywheel mode 0-standard missing tooth.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Apart from gap tooth factor, none of those settings make any difference yet, not until you can get the missing tooth to appear.

Play around with the gap tooth factor, starting at the lowest, and working up in amounts of 200 up to the maximum.