P8 Pro Wheel Speed Sensors

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Inspired_dave
ECU Model: P8 Pro

P8 Pro Wheel Speed Sensors

Post by Inspired_dave »

Having a bit of a struggle with my wheel speed sensors on a P8...

The rear ones seem to be working fine but I cannot get the front ones working and/or showing on the traction display screen when I turn the wheels by hand. The setup is as follows...

Laser cut trigger wheels all round using 2mm mild steel, 20 teeth per revolution. Front have had a single coat of thin paint from a rattle can, rears are raw steel. (Surely the paint can't have more affect on the sensors than the plastic housing they are in?!)

Honeywell hall sensors with the correct air gap between sensor and disc.

Triple checked all the wires and connectors, tried switching over inputs front to back, left to right.

Checked grounds, 5v supply, continuity to the ecu pins.

Tried changing sensors.

Traction is turned on, wheel and trigger wheel parameters all set up and correct in the map.

Am I missing some quirk of the ECU that could be causing this issue?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: P8 Pro Wheel Speed Sensors

Post by stevieturbo »

Are you suuuureeee the wiring is correct ?

Test with a multimeter to see if the signal is switching 0/5v ( test between ground and the signal wire on the sensor )

When I did my loom, local to the ecu I actually used 4 x 3pin AMPseal plugs so I could plug each wheel in there...also made it easy to test inputs by swapping plugs about from different wheel corners etc.

Paint wont be causing the problem though.

And are you sure traction is enabled AND the traction switch is turned on ?
Inspired_dave

Post by Inspired_dave »

Thanks for the quick reply Stevie.

Wiring wise I have a similar 4 connector box as you mentioned, where all sensors share common grounds and 5v. I've tried the switching between plugs etc to no avail.

I haven't tested the sensor signal is switching 0/5v so I will get straight on and try that. Shortly followed by removing the wiring for a rear sensor and bolt it to the front upright to see if that solves it. If it does, it's my dodgy wiring. I guess if it doesn't it's either the trigger wheel or something ecu based.

I confirmed that the traction is activated on the map and the traction display screen to make sure the switches on my wheel are working correctly, they turn the traction on/off and wet/dry just fine.

Will report back in a bit.
Inspired_dave

Post by Inspired_dave »

It would appear that triple checking my wiring is not enough sometimes!

Put the rear sensor on the front complete with the rear wiring and connectors, worked fine. So it was my wiring. Re-wired the front connector to the old sensor, now works. Re-wired and old front sensor, works too. Clearly something was going wrong with my multimeter last night that appears to have been fixed by me going to bed and then trying things again this morning ;)

Now to try and dial in the traction and launch settings, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the sanity check Stevie, much appreciated.
DTA Gareth

Post by DTA Gareth »

thanks for coming back to us to let us know how you worked it out.
its nice to actually see solutions.

indeed good luck on the traction control, there are a number of posts on the forum that should see you right.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Ya know...I did without TCS for about 4 years, believing there was a fault with the ecu when I first got it ( P8 Pro many many years ago ).......needless to say when I got bored one day I investigated and found the same, I wired a sensor up wrong lol.

I was sooo sure I had it all correct.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

We've all done it. I triple checked the wiring to my DBW pedal when fitting that last month, and still got it wrong.
Inspired_dave

Post by Inspired_dave »

Glad I am not the only one to have had traction control setup issues. I actually did a whole season of sprints in my Westfield thinking I had traction control turned on. At one point I was spinning up through 3rd, 4th and 5th thinking it was just too wet even for TC. Rewired my steering wheel at the end of the season and found a snapped wire behind the TC activation switch, oops!

Just built a new engine with some more horses and feet so I figured now might be a sensible time to spend a few hours fault-finding on the wheel speed sensors!

I'll definitely do some forum hunting for some TC settings stuff, also launch too. Every tenth counts! :)

Thanks again guys.