Speed output??

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
adzer
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Speed output??

Post by adzer »

Hi was wondering if anyone can help me I'm running a s80 ecu and it's going to be connected to a dash2 pro digi dash.

i converted the car to 4wd and bought a standalone controller to power the rear haldex diff. The diff controller has a small display screen and uses vehicle speed to operate certain diff modes and it also displays the speed on the screen.

The original clocks put out a speed signal to certain items on the car and the diff controller was taped into this wire to receive the speed. Now that I'll be running the dta s80 and dash2 pro I'm trying to figure out if either of these will be able to produce an output of the vehicle speed I can wire up the diff controller to :?

Any help appreciated
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: Speed output??

Post by gnutz2 »

You could configure one of the auxiliary outputs to vary duty cycle or frequency (depends what your controller requires) based on road speed, you'll need a wheel speed sensor wired into the s80 but remember that it won't represent road speed if the car is spinning.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

This feature can be found on Ana3/Aux3 unless the diff unit can read the data from the CAN ? But as mentioned still needs a wheel speed sensor connected to an undriven input.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

adzer wrote:Hi was wondering if anyone can help me I'm running a s80 ecu and it's going to be connected to a dash2 pro digi dash.

i converted the car to 4wd and bought a standalone controller to power the rear haldex diff. The diff controller has a small display screen and uses vehicle speed to operate certain diff modes and it also displays the speed on the screen.

The original clocks put out a speed signal to certain items on the car and the diff controller was taped into this wire to receive the speed. Now that I'll be running the dta s80 and dash2 pro I'm trying to figure out if either of these will be able to produce an output of the vehicle speed I can wire up the diff controller to :?

Any help appreciated
What was the nature of the speed signal the dash sends to the other devices ?
adzer

Post by adzer »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

All wheels are going to be driven as its 4wd but the original clocks took the speed off the gearbox sensor and that's what my digi dash is using for the speed.

The diff controller doesn't use can bus signal and I'm unsure what the original clocks output was for the speed signal. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to more in depth things like this.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You're already using a standalone controller, so what inputs does that need?

If you don't know, post the make of the controller, and we should be able to work it out.
adzer

Post by adzer »

Sorry for the delayed reply, I can't remember the make of the diff controller (possibly hrc controller). it was bought from Germany as I couldn't source any standalone ones in the uk.

The controller itself will still work and power the rear haldex without a speed signal but some function won't work correctly and the screen will not display road speed it'll remain 0 (which will annoy me)

The instructions was a simple diagram of the wiring and it was all in German. But the wire connected to the "speed signal" on the car. The speed signal originates from the clocks and went to the radio/ecu/etc faster you went the stereo volume went up etc

So I'm unsure what sort of signal the original speed signal was putting out.

How would I get a speed signal out of the dta? I've looked around the software and can't figure it out
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If you dont know what type of signal the controller needs...then you'll never be able to give it anything from the ecu.

You need that information.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

As stevie says, you need to know the signal type. What car is it?
Your best bet is to get on one of the model specific forums and find out what type of signal the dash puts out. We will then be able to help further.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And if it's anything too modern...the damn thing could get the speed info via CAN ! Which would complicate things further for us mere mortals. Although smart types could get a solution.

Do you even have a wiring diagram identifying everything ?