Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
blownharley
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 79.02

Re: Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Post by blownharley »

I will make some changes accordingly to the suggestions and come back with new logs.

Regarding boost, I will run maximum 1.5 Bar and fuel is E85, fuel pressure 3 Bar.

Regarding the MAP sensor I obviously change the setting from GM3 bar to GM 4 bar sensor of some reason?? I use the GM 3 bar sensor and this will make the barometic pressure reading slightly off. I changed this now.
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

Also I havent really calibrated the MAP-sensor more than just checked that it corresponded to the voltage in the already populated field given by the DTA. I used a vaccum/pressure hand pump and confirmed the readings were in line with the pressure gauge in the main menu and everything looked OK. This was when I had the GM3 bar sensor set in the DTA :oops:

stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

If the MAP sensor is calibrated correctly...then why when it was effectively in open air is it seeing a pressure around 115kpa ?
That doesnt make any sense.

And if the map sensor is Chinese....I wouldnt trust the preset scalings which would be for a specific GM 3 bar sensor ( oddly there have been nay GM part numbers over the years too for their 3 bar sensors with slight variations )
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Could someone explain the reasoning behind taking the map sensor from upstream of the butterfly, I don't get it but I don't know every thing.
With the sensor behind the butterfly I can't see how the corrections could ever be right other than at WOT.
Also after being on full boost and you start to close the throttle the pressure will start to drop on the back of the valve yet rise up stream, the compensations will then be very wrong.
Also your boost limit will have to be set much higher that the engine will ever see as you will need to counter the boost spikes seen in the plenham.
There is probably loads more downsides but I'm keen to find out what the perceived benefits are.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Nobody is saying it is perfect...but given it is a 2cyl engine, I would imagine trying to get a stable reading after the throttles would be incredibly difficult.

And you would only apply compensations on boost...for anything n vac I'd just run TPS vs RPM with no compensations ( although obviously the sensor would never see vac anyway )
So you should stand more chance of getting a stable pressure reading in the plenum, but yes there would be other negative effects. I'm sure it isnt anything that couldnt be tuned around though
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

You run standard compensations, that way you get barometric pressure (or effective baro at throttle plate) and map on boost. Works fine, other ECU offer internal baro off-boost in big overlap multi-throttle scenarios, and as soon as map sensor sees more than baro it uses that instead for correction.
No stress, as you're still measuring what the throttle butterfly sees - just the fuel map will look slightly different than using a sensor between the throttle and inlet valve.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

Now I got it to work up to 8500 (should run to 10500) rpm before it start to misfire. I tried to change the pickup to an Honeywell GT1 but obviously my teeth weren't wide enough to work since I only got one signal per revolution. That would have been from the bigger gap in my 36-2 trigger wheel.

What makes the change of the trigger wheel a bit more difficult is that the teeths are cut out in the alternator which looks like this:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

With lots of patience, you could make all of those teeth deeper which is bound to help. Or try a slightly larger air gap.

Although not sure what sort of tooth speeds a GT101 can accommodate, dont think it's ever been classed as ideal for a crank sensor though

The LS3-7 etc crank sensor normally runs off a 60-2 wheel and seems well proven even at high rpms

http://www.partsworldperformance.com/se ... -posititon

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-crank ... -reluctor/

Although again their teeth are more pronounced

blownharley

Post by blownharley »

Thanks Stevie! It seems like most of the turbocharged bikes here in Sweden runs the GT 1 as a crank trigger. However most of them are using LINK ECU and fewer teeth on the trigger wheel.

I was considering using 12-1 wheel to get down the frequency of the signal and I think the resulution will be have more than enough precision for my application?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The problem might be the number of teeth...or might be the lack of depth of your teeth.

I'd try making them deeper first, or having a machine shop make them deeper.

And/or also trying the LS sensor, although that will require a new bracket etc.

If that failed, then yes you could machine some teeth away to reduce the number, although looking at the spec, number is probably ok.

RS has sensor/tooth specs on the datasheet, cant seem to link to it directly. It does seem to suggest a much deeper tooth than you're appear to be, although there are variables.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magnetic-pickups/2355706/

It's listed as 4.5-24VDC, I wonder would supply voltage have any effect on performance too ?

I run mine off 5v for wheel speeds withouy issue, although they'd never see the speeds a crank sensor would