S100 coil driver

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Keithd2959
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: S100 coil driver

Post by Keithd2959 »

Thanks
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

something like the aem wideband is a complete unit, controller is in the gauge unit and has an output wire to connect to the ecu.
Bollah
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Post by Bollah »

welshpug wrote:something like the aem wideband is a complete unit, controller is in the gauge unit and has an output wire to connect to the ecu.
+1
It's what I'm using on my S60
MarcoV6T
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

Keith, one suggestion when using amplified coils;
As others(some) and myself included, have discovered when using amplified coils(amplified coils option ticked), is that when you power on(switch) the ECU without starting the engine, all coils will fire once.

I won’t go in detail the reason for this(maybe a suggestion for a firmware update, Alex?), but there’s one thing you can do to avoid that from happening; you need to power the coils from the same(or a second in parallel) power relay that powers the fuel pump.

In addition(as you are speaking of it) also power the WB controller from this relay, this is just for preventing (high)current draw from the battery when the engine is not running and you’re playing with the DTA software…

But one thing you have to bear in mind, is that when testing the coils in DTA, you’ll have to override the power relay to the coils.
Keithd2959

Post by Keithd2959 »

Hi, many thanks for pointing this out. It makes alot of sens to power the main relays via the fuel pump signal, maybe it will delay slightly the start up but its definitly better than keeping them powered up during ignition on.
MarcoV6T

Post by MarcoV6T »

It won't delay engine start-up, as the fuel pump is primed when the DTA is switched on(anyway, if no sync is found, the fuel pump stops running), but it will prevent the coils sparking when DTA is switched on.

I had one leaking injector once, before I made the change, and when I switched on the DTA, BOOM! A big piece of my plastic intake plenum went sky high and dented my hood...
Keithd2959

Post by Keithd2959 »

Ohh thats bad!!! Thanks.for the info. One other thing, the main ignition map can it be changed to map instead of tps as I couldn't figure it out?
troy
Firmware Version: 62

Post by troy »

I had a crappy old Haltech E6K that would fire the coils on start up as well, if you stalled the car and then went to restart it (key off and then on again) you would often get a large backfire out the exhaust or intake depending where the valves were sitting.
iceman_n
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by iceman_n »

i had those problems too with coil on plugs only of course....its because of the amplified coils

haltech does not have built in ignitors, so if you use amplified coils there should be no problem...
DTA has built in ignitors and in addition with the amplified coils pre-sparking occurs on ignition start
MarcoV6T

Post by MarcoV6T »

Keithd2959 wrote:Ohh thats bad!!! Thanks.for the info. One other thing, the main ignition map can it be changed to map instead of tps as I couldn't figure it out?
Sure you can, you can use map as load, but it will be for both fuel and ignition timing maps, only I don't remember exactly where you can find it, should open up DTASwin to find out.