Analog output

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
swsupermoto
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: mosley rolling road
Firmware Version: 66

Analog output

Post by swsupermoto »

Is there any way of outputting a 0 to 5v using dta or the xdash thanks
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Analog output

Post by stevieturbo »

Not usually...more to the point, what for ?

Very few ecu's offer such a feature.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Could be done by using the aux output and a pull up resistor to 5v, but this is of course a digital output, not analog. If you add a capacitor it will smooth the digital to something like analog but will take some testing to get the right sort of output you are looking for.
swsupermoto

Post by swsupermoto »

It's to control the power steering, if I could use the speed and add it to a table and output 0 to 5v that would be great.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Again...it will need some testing but along the lines of what Rob suggests.

The Aux outs can provide a PWM signal, from 0% duty to 100% duty, 100% being a full ground.

Although in the "off 0%" state this might appear as 12v so not sure how that would affect things.

But if you connected a load between say a 5v source and the PWM output, at 0% duty it read 0 volts and at 100% duty it should read 5v

In the middle as it is rapidly moving between off/on at 50% duty, on say an analogue meter this could appear as 2.5v

But you'd need to test this. As long as it is purely a signal requried with no actual load, you could fire that 5v from the DTA into your steering controller via a small pullup resistor, and also connect an Aux out to the same line to allow the ecu to pull it to ground to reduce the voltage.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

I had the same problem when looking to make an bar graph style shift light, needed a analogue 0-5v to drive the ic chip. just choose any pwm output and like others suggest, use an resistor/capacitor filter which basically numbs down the signal.

I found this tool very useful, you'll want the frequency set as fast as possible.

http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/PWMtool.php
Mr Drew
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by Mr Drew »

Does the power steering definitely need an analogue signal? It's an odd ball signal for a manufacturer to use.
swsupermoto

Post by swsupermoto »

It's a aftermarket kit using a corsa column.
Mr Drew
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by Mr Drew »

If it's using the standard column electronics or the DC electronics ecu then it wants a variable frequency input.
swsupermoto

Post by swsupermoto »

It uses the std steering ecu then a control box to tell it what speed you are doing. But this control has a variable resistor on it to set the assistance level. What I what to do is very the assistance against speed. So on stop it will be 100% and by about 50mph it will be off. I can do this by setting the aux outs to switch it in steps but I want a linear action.