Wide band AFR input to P8 Pro

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
MGFMINI
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Wide band AFR input to P8 Pro

Post by MGFMINI »

Hi,
I am sure this has been answered before but I'm looking at wide band AFR controller and the Technical Specifications are below, I think it will be correct but on the P8 drawing the Lamda input does not seem to be specified apart from pin outs 49 and 12:

Physical Dimensions: 2 x 2.875 x 1.125" (52 x 75 x 28mm) L x W x H
Technology: PLX Critical Response Technology, Fast Response PID
Accuracy: < 0.1AFR (Gasoline) Wideband, < 0.2AFR (Gasoline) Narrowband
Measurement Range: 10-20 AFR (Gasoline)
0.68 - 1.36 lambda (Gasoline)
0 - 100 O2 Sensor Health
0 - 1000 mS Reaction Time
9 - 20 Volts
Analog Outputs: Wideband Linear 0-5V,
Narrowband 0-1V (Driving Current 20mA)
Operating Voltage: 9V-20V
Power Consumption: 20 Watts (Max), 13 Watts (Typical)
Power Supply Technology: High Efficiency Switching with Soft Start Technology
Operating Temperature: 0 - 85 Deg Celsius
Sensor: One Bosch LSU 4.9
Enclosure: Extruded Aluminum

I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on this, Thank you
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Wide band AFR input to P8 Pro

Post by stevieturbo »

As long as your controller has a 0-5v output based on the AFR seen...then it can be used with the P8.

Which covers just about every wideband kit in existence.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Perfect and thank you, I take it then that all the analogue inputs for sensors etc is 0-5V? so could take an input from various controllers if required
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

P8 can only use 0-5v lambda on one of the ana inputs, ana 3, and you have to select this in the software. you can't subject the P8 native lambda input to 5v. the max headroom for the native lambda input is 1.25v.
If you really need to use the ana 3 input for something else, you may be able to compress the wideband controller's output to the range you are interested in to the 0-1.25v range so you can use the standard native lambda input, I did this with my p8 as I was inputting something else to the ana 3.
Hope that makes sense.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Yes it makes perfect sense, thank you and I will speak to the supplier. I think actually I have a bit of electronic wizardry from my days while invited in proportional control hydraulics the it rescales the input to an adjustable output, but was linear so not sure what the output curve of the controller would be.....food for some head scratching!

Thanks again
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Lambda's are fairly linear in their scaling 0 - 5v = 6.5 - 22AFR with 2.5v = 14.7AFR / 1.0 lambda. That's an Innovate output, other manufacturers may tighten the low and high end across the 5v and some will offer an emulated narrowband output between 0.75v - 1.25v. If the fully scale is required, it just requires the controller to rescale 0-5v into a 0-1.25v output range.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

After doing a little more digging the controller has a narrow band output ( please see the below) would this input be suitable for the dedicated lomda input as it at the lower level is above 0v? so is actually working between just above 0v and just below 1v

Document1.pdf
(46.59 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

It would make no sense at all to use a crappy simulated narrowband output, when you want what the 0-5v wideband offers.

Is there any reason you cannot use the Ana3 input ?
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Hi, thank you, Yes thats very true, I found another way so will move an input destined for 3, so freeing up the Analogue input as better used for the wideband controller. great advice thanks again
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Although I'm still convinced that some time during the P8's life, it changed so the normal Lambda input could be used for 0-5v.

But I think Rob tested his and it was unable to see a 0-5v signal ?

It's been so long since I used a P8 though, but I firmly believe this did happen during it's life as I very very vaguely recall doing it !