Question with pretty much every sensor...

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Lynx
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Question with pretty much every sensor...

Post by Lynx »

Okay guys... Now one step at a time cause I have a LOT of unknown answers to my NOOB questions...

First of all... project is tubular chassis with 4.2L V8 code ABH from Audi A8. AWD drive train.

Forged internals, lower compression, bigger 880cc injectors, even bigger turbo (Borg Wagner KKK K31), NOS system, water injection, 90mm exhaust only one back muffler, 2 BOV-s, separated waste gate, water cooled IC,...

Everything on the engine end is wired up, shrinkwrapped,... but fun stuff happens inside... First time on DTA ever (been on Mega Squirt) so a lot is unknown for me...

1) If I have AWD do I really need traction control and if I do which sensors does it take? And if I need speed sensors on which wheels do I need it? However I am planning on using speed signal from gearbox...

2) Launch control... If I have a button like switch on clutch (like on the other one running MS i have only this) do I still need the switch or the potenciometer.?? What is the potenciometer acctually good for??

3) Anti lag... dont really understand the benefit on drag car??

4) Shift cut I suppose is only for sequential gearboxes?? If not what is it good for...?

5) For log on do I need switch or button??

6) I have 4 ignition coils running each 2 wires to 2 sparks running wasted spark. Can I still use sequential fuel injections regardless of running wasted spark??
http://www.stealth316.com/2-ignitioncoils.htm

7) Where to connect knock sensor?? It has 3 pins??
http://www.niparts.com/Graphics/full/DATA_49/181066.jpg

8) O2 sensor is wired directly or via controller or how? I am using INNOVATE one...
https://www.diyautotune.com/wp-content/ ... 00x600.jpg

9) I have a magnetic sensor on main crank shaft and hall sensor on cam shaft. Is that enough for spark and injection?

A lot has been already discussed but for some I can not find any relation to my build...
Hopefully someone has some time on his hand and helps the poor guy :P haha

Cheers guys!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Question with pretty much every sensor...

Post by stevieturbo »

1, traction control will be difficult as you're comparing undriven wheel speeds against driven. Not really 4wd territory.

2, The potentiometer can be used to vary launch rpm. A switch would just activate it

3, Who said there was a benefit for a drag car ? I guess a lot depends how you shift and box etc used.

4, Again yes mostly aimed at manual or sequential type boxes where someone wants to do flat foot shifts ( or clutchless if the trans will allow it )

5, I presume you mean logging ? It's easiest just to let it log all the time or when vehicle speed is detected. But you could use a manual switch if you wanted. Problem with manual switches is you need to remember to turn it on lol

6, sequential injection and sequential coils are independent features so yes. You will need a crank and cam trigger for sequential.

7, DTA offers no provision for a knock sensor.

8, Yes the Innovate or any other similar wideband controller will work. You can have one per bank if you wish, there are 2 inputs.
However given it sounds like a single turbo, the sensor would need to be after the turbo, so you would only be able to make use of 1 wideband ( unless you install the sensors in a low pressure area pre-turbine, but that can be some work to create )

9, Yes. Generally a single tooth is preferred for cam but other patterns do work too. Speak to Alex.

And a lot of the above is covered in the manual...just sayin :P
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Many thanks... Yeah but for firstime user of DTA is a bit confusing to me...

One more... Yes I meant for data logging but do i need a switch (on/off) or momentary switch (button) for that?

For traction I will eliminate that. It could in theory read all 4 speeds and compare them but I dont think DTA is desingned for that...
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

yes the log switch is on/off latch, not a momentary
regarding the traction and wheel speeds, I'd be incline to make the front wheels the undriven wheels and the rear the driven, this will stop massive power induced oversteer, but not power induced understeer. You can't make it control all 4 wheels spinning on ice or wet grass.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I'm guessing with a 'full tube chassis' this is intended for straighline / drag racing? Nothing against AWD for racing other than the increased weight penalty and complexity. Drag launches depend on clever rear suspension and weight transfer so the limited additional drive from the front would be of little benefit IMO. In regard to anti lag for racing - try a launch with no boost and another with 20lbs of boost (providing you have the chassis and tyres) and antilag will make lots more sense. Drag racing is primarily against a clock and seconds are precious, so if you can make a big chunk of power before leaving the line it is potentially saving a second or two building boost down track.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

There is no reason you cannot still log all 4 wheel speeds....as to how much use it will be is another matter.

And unless you have huge rear tyres, of course 4wd will help at launch. Even more so if the surface you are racing on isnt like glue.

And Katana is referring to launch control with boost on launch, not anti-lag.

Anti-lag is a feature to maintain boost on closed throttle either braking into corners, during gearchanges etc etc. Not at full throttle launch.
katana

Post by katana »

For us 'little people' its the same thing! Its spinning the turbo for boost with minimal power output
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:For us 'little people' its the same thing! Its spinning the turbo for boost with minimal power output
With your foot flat on the throttle at launch with say 6-7000rpm and 20psi...power production wouldnt really be minimal
katana

Post by katana »

Anti lag control via timing retard produces significant exhaust temps giving boost with revs but virtually no power whilst the button is pressed / clutch is disengaged - power generation is virtually instant once the switch opens / clutch engages. Do it long enough and it eats turbos.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Okay...

Now I have struck a milestone... Havent checked dta software...

I am running wasted spark cause I have 4 coils with 2 outputs each...

Firing order is 15486372

Matching TDC pistons are 1-6, 2-8, 3-5, 4-7

Now my config would be...
Coil1 - 1 and 6 cylinder
Coil2 - 2 and 8 cylinder
Coil3 - 3 and 5 cylinder
Coil4 - 4 and 7 cylinder

How do I tell the computer to turn on coils in this order each cycle?

It should be like that if I want to run WS...