HELP... 50mm trigger wheel not working on bike

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: HELP... 50mm trigger wheel not working on bike

Post by katana »

From other posters experience - take ALL but cylinder #1 plug out then try again that should give a better trace. But as i'm at work i'm not sure on the trace bar colour's but it would appear there is wiring / crosstalk / unshielded wire interference?
skelly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by skelly »

Ok..
Welll
The wire is a shielded two core, the shielding is connected with one of the cores and that goes to sensor ground (the one for the crank signal) at the ecu connector.
The shielding at the sensor end is just cut off and the two cores connected to the sensor wires with a temporary chocolate block connector.
This seems to be the correct way as far as I can gather.
Any ideas ?
Skel.
katana

Post by katana »

Well can't fault the wiring from the description - choc blocks aren't great but if making good connections should be ok temporarily.
The crank trace is showing single missing, double missing, triple missing teeth, additional teeth throughout so maybe point more toward a pick-up issue? Is the sensor close to trigger wheel - around 0.5mm is recommended I believe. Also check the 'Gap Tooth Factor' in settings - should be 1500 for single missing tooth.
That's about the limit of my internet diagnostics i'm afraid.
skelly

Post by skelly »

Righty.. update time..
Not happy..
My original 36-1 wheel did not work, no matter what I tried,
that then morphed into a 12-1 wheel,, still no joy, and then 12-2, still no luck.
I then made an 11mm thick 12-1 wheel which ran the engine but was still not reliable enough to start it at will.
Tried Robs 18-1 wheel (that arrived in super quick time in the post), still no luck.
With all these wheels, I have tried 3 different sensors and lots of different gaps, lots of different tooth factors, the lot..
Still no joy.
All 3 sensors are 2 wire suzuki ones.
I have now been cranking so much I think I have damaged my starter clutch on the engine.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Use a hall sensor.
katana

Post by katana »

stevieturbo wrote:Use a hall sensor.
Not easy Steve if you wish to retain the cover - very little space - see similar install.
A right angle trigger would be useful if one exists?
Attachments
264504IMG0517.jpg
24_2_trig2.jpg
skelly

Post by skelly »

Righty...
@katana. In your first pic you seem to have a std suzuki pickup that looks like mine.
Does this work ok with your DTA ecu ?
If so it would be interesting to see your setup info if thats ok ?
The 2nd pic looks like the work of Arttu. I have ordered this very same thing from him today.
I will try to post a pic of my current instalation.
Cheers.
Skel.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Have you tried with the sensor connections the other way round?
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

I have done a fair few bikes, hears what I have learned...... 24-1 is about the best you can hope for (from a DTA ecu), the poll of the sensor needs to be smaller than the gaps, the teeth should be the same size as the gaps. gaps should be at least as deep as they are wide, except the extra gap, that should be about half depth.

you might well get 36-1 to work as that engine doesn't rev like the stuff i deal with (i was the first person in the wild to take a DTA ecu over 16000)

that being said try swapping the sensor wires, this will give you what your experiencing.

Edit, the shield should go to power ground not sensor ground
katana

Post by katana »

@ Skelly - neither pic's are mine but the first one was I believe on DTA and it is a std. GSXR pick-up. I've used the same pick-up on mine but with a 4 tooth wheel and MoTec M8. It took a little while to get all the relative angles correct as it used a cam tooth to sync the correct cycle then next crank tooth as firing point.
The latter is probably Arttu's - can't remember where the picture came from but does show the minimal space the put a pick-up into.
@ Rob Stevens - the crank oscilloscope trace looks correct for this wire set-up as per the manual - wouldn't it be flattened off if wires were reversed?