HELP... 50mm trigger wheel not working on bike

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: HELP... 50mm trigger wheel not working on bike

Post by stevieturbo »

I think with wiring reversed it shows a double spike after the missing tooth or something ?

flat would just indicate a steady rpm speed ?

A proper scope trace is so much easier to gain info from though.

How does the trace look with no plugs in ?
skelly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by skelly »

Ok.
Evening all.
I must say its good to have a forum where people look and try to help every day, its much appreciated.
So,, onwards..
today the bike ran, I changed the coil on time & injector dead time and it started.
Now it still sucks on cranking and I get a messy scope signal but it will start.
I tried changing the sensor polarity too, for about the 10th time....
I'm running twin output dyna 2.2 ohm coils, the coil on time is 2000 micro seconds, and 4 nikki 771 high impedance injectors, the injector dead time is set to 1.5 milli secs.
I'll add a couple of crank signal scope traces below to amuse you all with..
running crank signal.JPG
12-1 cranking plugs in.JPG
The first trace is with the engine running.
The 2nd is cranking with a wider sensor gap.
I may have another bash tomorrow.
Cheers.
Skel
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I would say get the sensor as close as you can to the wheel in this instance ( ensuring it doesnt touch of course )

Also, is the starter good ? battery ? wiring ? what sort of cranking rpm's are you seeing ?
skelly

Post by skelly »

I haven't messed with the sensor today.
I am waiting for Arttu from Finland to send me one of his proven 24-1 setups complete with adjustable backplate and new sensor as in Katana's 2nd photo on the previous page.
I can start the bike with my current setup but cranking is becoming slightly random due to my starter sprag clutch slowly loosing its ability to grab the inner hub and crank at a consistant speed.
Another issue that I had was that for some strange reason my throttle bodies were adjusted a mile apart from each other and the spring loaded adjuster stops were all seized up.
This is now cured and the bike ticks over quite nicely.
I still need to find out my optimum settings for the injector dead time and coil on time.
Lots of little problems all slowly getting sorted..
I'll post more when I have more progress, hopefully mid week..
Cheers
Skel.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Don't worry about injector dead time too much at the moment, that's the least of your worries. likewise the coil on time. There is a feature that helps you set the dead time once you have a good idle and a lambda.
skelly

Post by skelly »

Righty...update time.
I have been proper busy with work, having a birthday & sorting my bike out.
I fitted the 24-2 trigger wheel, backplate & sensor that Arttu from finland sent to me.
I also pulled the rotor off the other end of the crank and completly rebuilt the starter sprag clutch, upon dissassembly it was pretty obvious that it had started to eat itself, so it was rebuilt with new springs, plungers and rollers.
the engagement hub was lightly dressed in the lathe too.
I set the sensor gap to 0.1mm.
Also I discovered that one of the brand new dyna plug leads was faulty, not good.
I also reset all the throttle butterflies manually by using a 0.8mm drill bit as a gauge to get me in the ballpark ballance wise.
I reset the gap tooth factor to 2000.
And it started up great, it cranks real smooth now on the starter and fires up almost immediately.
Still need to fine tune the cold start enrichment and throttle transients but I now have a working motorcycle that will be heading to the dyno in the next couple of days so that I can map it.
Cheers for all your help.
Skel.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Nice work. Funny you say about starter setup, I've found a starter falling off an engine before causing irregular cranking speed and causing ecu to not sync.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
skelly

Post by skelly »

Hi all.
Quick update.
My 24-2 trigger wheel is working fine.
I have had the bike on the dyno for a very quick session and got 130bhp and 91ftlb of torque.
I have some slight tweaking to do and I'm slightly boggled with the throttle transients but its getting crisper each time I tweak it.
Thanks for everyones help and advice.
I'll post some power and torque curves up as soon as I go to the dyno again.

Skel.