P8 Pro square wave output

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
MGFMINI
ECU Model: P8 Pro

P8 Pro square wave output

Post by MGFMINI »

Good evening,
Does anyone know if it is possible to to obtain a square wave output...either stand alone or put through signal conditioning relay (the same as used to condition abs sensor inputs for traction control) to feed a 55hz signal into power steering ECU? as it uses this to see the engine is running, maybe from the RPM within the software?

Just a thought

Thanks in advance
Craig
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: P8 Pro square wave output

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes, any of the Aux outputs can do a 55Hz square wave output but only as a PWM , I think power steering systems require frequency modulation, P8 can't do that.
The Aux output can be modulated by a range of inputs the ecu already knows or from one of the ana inputs.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Rob,
Yes it wants to see ideally a rev counter type input to clarify that the engine is running to then allow the torque sensors demand to allow the PAS to operate I think, I will try piggy backing it from the crankshaft sensor using a Siemens conditioning module and see if that works,

The reason I asked is that interestingly this is usually provided by the Vauhall Corsa's ECU, so was just wondered if the P8 could do this too, being as the PAS just needs to see a value between 55Hz and 30KHz (Max) just to ascertain if the engine is running ensuring the motor does not draw any current from battery and flatten it, rather than scaling that input for speed calculations within its ECU as this is done via another input which is done via an ABS sensor on the wheel.

Bit of a head scratcher!

Thanks again

Craig
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Are there not plenty of standalone controllers for those PAS setups ? They're not exactly uncommon ?
Mr Drew
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by Mr Drew »

Is the tacho output not a square wave on the p8?
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

He asked for a 55Hz signal
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You can just use the Tacho output for those controllers, pin 24 on the ECU. The frequency required by the controller is from 55Hz to 30kHz.
The wheel speed can be set up on AUX3, if you have a wheel speed sensor. You're fitting one anyway, so just connect it to the ECU rather.

All the info required is here:
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/co ... ring-epas/
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thank you for the advice again everyone, will let you know how I get on.....

Alex, just a quickie...the PG1 gearbox has speed sensor which outputs into the MGF PAS & Engine management ECU to provide driven speed to the speedometer I think this is hall effect, so with the Siemens conditioning module could this then utilised for the launch ( or even traction) control driven wheel speed and the ABS input for un driven, or would the various ratios cause issues?

Thanks again

Craig
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Craig, I think you would be better off with the 4 wheel speed sensors than trying to use the gearbox sensor. You could try and use it for the driven wheel speed but the ecu is really looking for 2 wheels, It would not work for launch control as the ecu needs an undriven wheel and uses rpm to calculate wheelspin.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

If it's Hall Effect, you don't need the conditioner. That's just for converting VR to Hall.

You can't use a driven wheel signal for launch, as the ECU only uses an undriven sensor, and calculates driven from the values entered. If you use a driven wheel signal, the ECU will never see any wheel spin on launch.

It can definitely be used for driven wheel speed though.