What sensors do I need?

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Xr4i_guy
ECU Model: S80 Pro

What sensors do I need?

Post by Xr4i_guy »

Hi all newbie here

I'm in the process of building a loom for my s80 pro and wondering if I need to change my stock sensors for it to read them. Basically I have single pin temperature sensors on my engine and the manual shows the temp sensors as being earthed back to the ecu.

The other thing I was wondering is it necessary to run an air temp sensor and a lambda?
I have a 3 bar map sensor, cam, crank, idle, tps, turbo control, water, oil and oil pressure.

Cheers in advance
Last edited by Xr4i_guy on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: What is sensors do I need?

Post by katana »

Std 1 pin senders are primarily resistance based from gauge to earth whereas the DTA (and more ECU's) feed the sensors a voltage and expect to get a voltage back modified by the sensor resistance, so better to use correct sensors (they'll also be calibrated to the ecu or vice versa)

You are running a turbo? If so, i'd consider both AT and lambda (wideband) to be essential. Oil temp and pressure aren't necessary for good ecu control.
welshpug
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by welshpug »

what engine?

if its been on an ecu before then its likely to have a two pin sensor that you can use already, or fit a known type in its place
Xr4i_guy
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by Xr4i_guy »

Cheers for the replys I will be changing over to the correct style sensors. Engine was an mfi setup before so very basic.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: What sensors do I need?

Post by stevieturbo »

Xr4i_guy wrote:Hi all newbie here

I'm in the process of building a loom for my s80 pro and wondering if I need to change my stock sensors for it to read them. Basically I have single pin temperature sensors on my engine and the manual shows the temp sensors as being earthed back to the ecu.

The other thing I was wondering is it necessary to run an air temp sensor and a lambda?
I have a 3 bar map sensor, cam, crank, idle, tps, turbo control, water, oil and oil pressure.

Cheers in advance
More details required.

What engine, what use, what do you think you need etc etc ?

And no, a single wire temp sensor will not be suitable for supplying the ecu with information.

As for necessary....depends really. Are you tuning, is someone else tuning etc ?