Cam sensor signal - when used?

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Cam sensor signal - when used?

Post by SMR »

Hi All,
My engine builder is currently fitting a cam trigger pin and sensor to my GSXR1100W engine, and is worried that the small diameter of the trigger pin rotation circle (Pin in the end of the cam similar to a Hayabusa setup?) may trouble the GT1 Honeywell sensor I was planning on using. He's concerned that the pin arrangement/spacing doesn't meet the specs required in the sensor spec sheet.

Does the S100 only need the cam signal to get going, or does it need it continously to run sequential?

I'm pretty sure I've seen these GT1 sensors being used as a cam sensor on Hayabusa engines - so despite not offically meeting the specs, may well be up to the job?

All help appreciated,
Cheers
Steve
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Cam sensor signal - when used?

Post by Alex DTA »

Hi Steve

The ECU can be set to ignore the sensor for starting purposes. The injectors are batched, and the coils are fired in wasted spark mode until the RPM threshold has been reached.
However, once the ECU has switched to sequential, losing the cam sensor will cause the engine to stop running.
SMR

Post by SMR »

Excellent, thanks Alex.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I put a M6 screw in my GSXR 1460 inlet cam for a cam sensor - stock Busa one was a bit flakey but a Magnetti Minareli Ducati Hall effect type worked fine - rotating dia was no more than 35mm.
SMR

Post by SMR »

Good info Katana - I've not seen a picture of how mine's been done, but expect something similar.
We'll try with the GT1 hall sensor, but may also try a Suzuki magnetic one as it'll mount better in the cam cover.