MSD coil pack

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: MSD coil pack

Post by stevieturbo »

5+6 are just a mirror of 1+2
MGFMINI
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Stevie,
Will change things around a bit pin wise and give it a go
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Just out of interest what are the gains from running non sequential over sequential....as trying to get my head around why you would want all the injectors injecting out of phase to their respective cylinders? sorry if that's a stupid question
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

There are no 'gains' mechanically speaking - wasted spark / non sequential is easier / cheaper to engineer / build. Fuel economy and emissions tend to be worse especially around idle up to cruise speeds. Sometime 'wetting' the inlet tract can help on the non firing cylinder but you tend to inject sub optimal quantities each time as one clearly gets injected and ingested with dregs of the non injested one that wasn't so allowing AFR's to vary.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

stevieturbo wrote:
Rob Stevens wrote:Weard, so why would the sensor position change with the S series.
S series can run missing tooth anywhere

P series cannot. Pretty sure P must be less than 90deg.
Yeh I know, but this is the same engine, same flywheel, same sensor physical position and the S series demands the sensor position be moved by 180 deg. Do you see what I'm saying?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Craig, remember in sequential mode the injector per cylinder fires just once every 2 revolutions, in batch mode it fires every revolution, as mentioned above it won't make much ods on a race car as when on full power the injectors are open nearly all the time, so moving that pulse around won't make much odds. but at idle and cruise can save fuel and run nicer.
My own K series is now sequential and idles beautifully and I have been able to save loads of fuel in the map, on the road I imagine i've improved by 3-4 mpg
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:
Rob Stevens wrote:Weard, so why would the sensor position change with the S series.
S series can run missing tooth anywhere

P series cannot. Pretty sure P must be less than 90deg.
Yeh I know, but this is the same engine, same flywheel, same sensor physical position and the S series demands the sensor position be moved by 180 deg. Do you see what I'm saying?
Maybe it was never right on the other setup ? Or maybe there are some changes not documented ?

As for batch vs sequential.

If you have the dyno time to fine tune the sequential, it may yield gains. That'd be a lot of work to optimise fueling and injection timing though to try and find them.

But as Rob says, in batch firing say a 1000cc injector twice ever 720, no matter how you look at it, it will spray far worse and be less controllable at lower rpm's vs the same injector fired only once per 720.
So sequential is definitely better for larger injectors.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thank you, appreciate your help and learning all the time
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Well after another couple of weeks of head scratching and frustration....
The engine would not run properly, double checked and reset cam timing and valve lifts amongst others, then engine started ,but could not seem to get it to run very well, long story short I went back through the maps I had loaded into the ecu and noticed that somehow the ignition map which was in the map that came when I bought the ecu (Used) had somehow copied across to the map I had been working on (which is odd as the fuel map was from a different map) and was miles out....I thought Eureka ! as had a moment of clarity, so spent a few evenings copying the settings across from a map I had from Rob so knew was good.
Was excited to load this and try it.....Could not believe it when the engine would not start..and no way it was going to

After more trial and error I dashed into Euro car parts and picked up a standard ford Zetec tower coil tower for a ford Fiesta , replaced the existing MSD coil pack and changed plugs....and now runs great, think a lot of the trouble I have had was the MSD coil pack from the start....Grrrrr.

Can anyone recommend a decent coil pack and grade of plug to use with it on a rover k series 1.8

Thank you
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The best coil pack is one that works....and you seem to have that now.