MSD coil pack

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: MSD coil pack

Post by katana »

It is virtually impossible to get cam timing 180 degrees out as to do so would put it 90 degrees out on crank motion and you'd clatter valves into pistons! Simple test if all related to cylinder one timing - are both inlet and exh. rockers / tappets loose at tdc . . . . if they are, that is compression / firing stroke. Wind engine backwards whilst counting teeth or checking degrees and there is the angle / tooth count.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Trouble with the k series is that there are 4 missing teeth scattered round the flywheel

Quick test with compression tester will tell you if there is something wrong with cam timing . I use the lift on overlap at tdc on a k series I'd expect to see something like 100 tho inlet opening and 90 tho on closing exhaust at tdc
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Curiously the s series and p8 manual suggest 286 and 96 degrees . I use 292 verified with strobe, close enough to 286
MGFMINI
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by MGFMINI »

Good morning,
Firstly thank you all for your help with this, greatly appreciated,

I have tried to input figures higher than 170 into the sensor position BTDC and when I try to update map it comes up with "ERROR - Max sensor position 4 cylinder 170.0" and will not allow me to save it, This also happened when I tried to save changes I made to other areas of a map that Rob kindly sent me a while ago, a few of the original settings were higher than I was allowed to save.

Rob - When you say is it synchronising on diagnostic screen, I don't understand what this is, would you mind explaining? My flywheel also is 36 - 4 teeth, so what does this mean in relation to in essential engine settings "Number of missing teeth (which we both have set to 1)

Alex - When you say "Flywheel mode to sensor angle should be 286." Does this mean input 286 into the sensor before TDC window, or do I have to calculate this somehow? I also tried loading a map you sent me a few years ago and that had 96 degrees setting (Will not fire on this) so very keen to understand how to get this right

Compression wise,I am almost certain that this is ok but will obviously double check when I am home, and have had exchange of conversation and photos of cams and pulleys with Dave (DVA) and he kindly has advised me that all looks ok from a valve timing point of view and will run ok, so at least i am not going completely mad....

Thank you again

Craig
Attachments
286 dgs.png
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

In the diagnostic screen you will see if the ECU has recognised the crank trigger and will show an rpm
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Rob,
Will try that when I get home. on the real time screen it is showing RPM when cranking it over.
I heard from Alex regarding Flywheel mode to sensor angle should be 286, but that was for the S80 and so will not go into the P8 Pro, and should therefore be 96. However I have tried 96 and it will not run on that.
Just a quick thought...does it matter which of the 2 pins on an injector are +12v or 0vdc?

Thanks
Craig
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Injector pins makes no difference.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Alex, that's good news, but on the flip side i'm running out of ideas....
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Craig, sorry I forgot that the older software doesn't have the synchronisation window, so ignore that.
As you are having to fudge the sensor position by 180 deg it make sense that you may have to swap the 2 coil drivers over, worth a try.
If you were just up the road I'd have it running in a jiffy. Have to remember that all the early K series had a distributor to over come all of this.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Rob Stevens wrote:As you are having to fudge the sensor position by 180 deg it make sense that you may have to swap the 2 coil drivers over
That seems logical - just like swapping coils 1/4 and 2/3 in a wasted spark engine, timed 180 deg out!