Newbie crankshaft oszilloskop question

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
millivanilli
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Newbie crankshaft oszilloskop question

Post by millivanilli »

Hello DTA experts,

I've been a silent reader here in the forum for about 1 year and have been building my first own engine with a DTA injection for about half a year.

This is a 2.4L type 4 engine that is supposed to drive my VW Beetle.

I built this engine from scratch and now I want to get it to run with a DTA S60. The current status is so far that all sensors and the ignition are installed, a provisional wiring harness has been created and all functions have been tested. At the start the only thing missing is the fuel supply.

I milled a 36-1 trigger in the flywheel, which is queried by a Hall sensor. And here comes the problem too.
If I let the engine crank without spark plugs, i.e. without compression, I have a very clean and clear signal. I've attached a picture of it.

But if I put in spark plugs and let it spin with compression, I don't have such a clean and clear signal.
I've also attached a picture of it.
Can any of you tell me why this could be?
As additional information, I can also say that the voltage of my battery used for this test unfortunately drops to around 10V when starting.
And when I let it turn, the diagnostic display shows me that the motor is synchronized.

Am I on the rigth way, or do I have a bigger problem ?

Thank you for your help.
without compression
without compression
with compression
with compression
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Newbie crankshaft oszilloskop question

Post by Alex DTA »

Both signals are fine.
The second looks like it's cranking a bit slowly, but should still start.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The peaks/troughs relate to compression strokes.

Of which there are none spinning with no plugs in, hence smoother and flatter.
millivanilli

Post by millivanilli »

Thank you for your answers and feedback....

In that case, after setting up with many obstacles and problems, I still have hope that everything will be okay ...

So I only have to wait for the last parts of my fual supply and the I can try to start the motor for the first time.

Do you know, where I can get a basic map for the first start ?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Use the Zetec map that should be on the ECU if new, otherwise it's in the software.
If you are running a distributor, you will need to set that in General Engine Settings.
millivanilli

Post by millivanilli »

Hey,

thank you for your answer and the information, that I can use the zetec map.

I hope, that the missing parts for my fuel supply will arrive in the next days and I can try the fast start of my motor.

I do not use a distributor. I' ve a beru zse 003 ignition coil in use and allready found a thread here in the forum, how i have to configure the ECU for this coil.