Driving an electric water pump from DTA S80

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: Driving an electric water pump from DTA S80

Post by lumley32 »

steve, i dont see why you couldent do that, it would be better wit 3D maps (like the motec) but should be doable!

you could always run it from RPM and just increase the speed of the pump as the revs rise. the only problem would be the lack of speed, DTA only goes to 400Hz pumps would realy like to be pulsed faster that that!.

as for driving high load, you can always use a 4 channel Bosch amp and link them all, should take you to 40amps no problem! it would want a good heat sink!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I just wonder that it is 400hz....but what about dwell ? It's a lot faster than I can think, but dont know how it would work, or if it could work.
400hz sounds fast lol

A simple control strategy is all I'm after, although Max's closed loop dead end fuel system does sound superb. Bit too technical for me though !
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

there shouldn't be any dwell should just go from 0v to floating 400 times a second, the crossover should be around the speed of light. 400hz inset that fast in the scheme of things, my iPhone core speed is 800,000,000hz! in computer terms 400hz isnt even worth thinking about!

the problem with doing it on fuel pressure is with DTA we cant do any maths functions, or pdi loops for that matter. as you would need to do something like;
if FP<TFP then DC + 2
if FP>TFP then DC - 2

FP= fuel pressure
TFP = target fuel pressure
DC = duty cycle

if your running 2 pumps, think you said something about that before?!, why not do some thing like this with one of them?

this will only turn on over 30% tps then as revs rise so dose the fuel pump speed!
i have started at 20% as the water pump i use dosent work at all well under this!

i should have put some hysteresis on there! 2 or 3% would do.

i only share this as a GUIDE it would need tried on the dyno, or at least dataloged testing!!!!
Attachments
fuel pressure.jpg
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As much as I like the idea of Max's fancy speed controller, all I'd be interested in is a very simple controller.

I dont need 3D tables etc etc. A simple TPS or IDC based setting where during low loads pumps could be run at say 30-40% capacity then quickly ramping up to 100% even as low as 50% throttle.
Ive no interest in splitting the pumps or adding check valves or complications. Both pumps run all the time and that wont change.

The only change I might make would be to add a boost a pump to increase pump voltage at very high demand. Still in two minds as to whether to do this or not, as my pumps probably are almost flat out at max load.

but I could easily drive around very briskly and never even go over 20% throttle