Driving an electric water pump from DTA S80

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: Driving an electric water pump from DTA S80

Post by lumley32 »

as i have said i have been running PWM on my water pump for a while, i run it direct from the ecu but i only use a small pump. the only time my water pump is off is at 0degs or less, the rest of the time it goses from 20% to 100% increasing with temp useing one of the flexible analogs. its pretty easy to do, just make sure you dont overload the output. the max current is something like 4 amps on aux1 and 1 on the others (on a s80).

if you need more power than that use a solid state really, and run the frequency flat out, i think its about 400Hz!

make sure that your default temp is when the pump is at 100% that way if you have a sensor fail the pump will run flat out, better to much cooling than none!

as for the cooling down, i have always thort your better off letting it all cool down on its own, eg on a windy day with the pump on it will cool down quicker than if its left alone!

and as i said before i wouldn't just switch the pump with water temp, uneven heating and all that!

that's what i do, some people have different ideas!

if you want to see the settings i have been using then PM me
RTR75
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 46

Post by RTR75 »

Hi Martin,

Sound like it will do the job :D

Now I just need to figure out if I can run my pump with the turbo PWM.
8-) Linc
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

RTR75 wrote:Hi Martin,

You likely can, but you will require a solid state relay or high current transistor for sure.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Jon K wrote:

You likely can, but you will require a solid state relay or high current transistor for sure.
On that note...do such devices exist at an affordable level ?
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

you can use a external ignition amp or few paralleled, depends on how much current your pump draws! mine pulls about 0.75amps running and 1.5amps inrush, so i just put it directly on a alux output!
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:
Jon K wrote:

On that note...do such devices exist at an affordable level ?
Absolutely - check out Bosch BIP373. They are used often for ignition coil control and have an 11.75A current limit with a MAX of 16A. They're $8.50 each USD.
Attachments
bip373_datasheet.pdf
(757.64 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So could one be used to control fuel pump speed directly from the ecu pwm output ? or a pair of pumps ?
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:So could one be used to control fuel pump speed directly from the ecu pwm output ? or a pair of pumps ?
Sure - i don't see why not. I was looking at a "Fuel lab" pump that was PWM controlled. The only issue I saw is that the pump wanted a much faster frequency than what DTA said it could do.

But yeah if you wanted to turn a fuel pump on at a given PSI or RPM you could do that. Or you could also use a solid state relay. You'd need to know the amp draw of your pump or you risk over-thermal'ing the BIP373.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

or use the PWM to control one of these Hella Solid State Relays: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=435
I have actually used one to drive a B5 A4 DBW idle control from and idle pwm signal.... quite unsuccesssfully actually, but now I know why - closed loop with the right PID would actually have worked fine I think.

It did adjust voltage based on duty, quite nifty.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jon K wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:So could one be used to control fuel pump speed directly from the ecu pwm output ? or a pair of pumps ?
Sure - i don't see why not. I was looking at a "Fuel lab" pump that was PWM controlled. The only issue I saw is that the pump wanted a much faster frequency than what DTA said it could do.

But yeah if you wanted to turn a fuel pump on at a given PSI or RPM you could do that. Or you could also use a solid state relay. You'd need to know the amp draw of your pump or you risk over-thermal'ing the BIP373.
I dont want to turn a pump off or on ( well not as static as that )

I want to use a PWM to control the speed of the pump, ie from 0-100% as demand requires.

The Fuelab uses it's own internal control setup, not sure what it requires.

But a simple speed controller based on say TPS, IDC or other parameters would be great.

Getting off topic as usual :), but have a read here.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... trol&mid=0