PWM controlled water pump

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
RTR75
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 46

PWM controlled water pump

Post by RTR75 »

As I was discussing with Martin about running an electrical water pump, he is using full switched power. I would like to run a pump with the PWM Duty Cycle, say 5% at start up and then to maintain a running temp of 160*F/71*C
I have an S60Pro, soft ware 46
Has anyone done this or am I just hopping it can be done
8-) Linc
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: PWM controlled water pump

Post by lumley32 »

shall i copy and paste the 2 reply s i put on the other topic? :)
RTR75

Post by RTR75 »

DAUGH! :shock: :o
I read that thing over three times, dont know why i didnt see it!

oh well such is my life, cant see the forest through the trees :lol:

But you dont remember which pin you are useing?
8-) Linc
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

dont worry about it, theses things happen!

im useing aux1 but like i said my pump is tiny and only draws about half an amp!

it seams that i have cut the bottom of that pic, but the frequency is set to 400hz

and like i said as long as you set the sensor defaults correctly if the sensor fails then the pump will run flat out.

as this is it will hold my race engine at about 80 degs with out a thermostat on short circuits, haven't tried it on roads, yet!
Attachments
waterpump.jpg
RTR75

Post by RTR75 »

THANKS for the info! :D
I have this Bosch pump, PN 392020034 or GM PN# 90448289 it's been knocking around in my tool box for years waiting for me to do something with it.
I will do some more research to find the amperage draw.
8-) Linc
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

the pumps i use are Bosch, haven't got the part number to hand but they have 22mm barbed pipe fittings, they seam to be the best for what im doing. i think there used for inter coolers on big supercharged engines (jags and the like) but it depends on what engine and rad you are useing.

im only using 600cc bike engines but i have seen them used on 1000cc again on the track, dont no how they would cope with day to day road driving!
RTR75

Post by RTR75 »

Looking at Bosch they have a couple of pumps like this and yea they say it’s for the big turbo/supercharged engines. :)

I got mine off a 01 Cadillac CTS and the 03-04’s have a bracket built on to the pump.

I plan on using it in my race car it’s a 1975, 1200 Honda Civic. It has 13.4-1 compression, up and over custom header with 4-2-1 collector, Carrillo rods, Wiseco Pistons, GSXR fuel injection and more pushing 135 hp. It’s got a large enough radiator that in the past I have even had to tape some of it off just to get up to temp. This is why I was thinking of going with the PWM pump. It can control the water temp better than me, flying around the track. :D NOT an every day driver :D
8-) Linc
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

lumley32 wrote:dont worry about it, theses things happen!

im useing aux1 but like i said my pump is tiny and only draws about half an amp!

it seams that i have cut the bottom of that pic, but the frequency is set to 400hz

and like i said as long as you set the sensor defaults correctly if the sensor fails then the pump will run flat out.

as this is it will hold my race engine at about 80 degs with out a thermostat on short circuits, haven't tried it on roads, yet!
Can you post the pump you're using? I might be interested in trying an electric pump out!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

its a very small pump! we use it on bike engines i dont no if it will move the sort of voulme of water you would need? but yea ill post the bosch number when i get back to the workshop tonight!
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Ah oh ok - nevermind then yeah I need a pump for a 3L engine :(
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW